President Muhammadu Buhari has warned that no one has the right to take laws into their hands and if local communities catch bandits, they should be handed over to law enforcement authorities.
Buhari condemned latest rounds of attacks and killings between bandits and residents in Damkal and Tsanwa villages in Batsari local government area of Katsina state.
Bandits on Friday evening carried out separate attacks on both villages, killing 30, mostly elderly women and children.
In a statement on Sunday, Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said President Buhari stated that killing people in the name of revenge is not acceptable.
“No one in the country has a right to take laws into his hands by the way of self-help or revenge. Local communities that catch bandits should hand over the suspects to law enforcement authorities instead of meting out capital punishment, leading to a cycle of revenge and counter revenge.”
President Buhari urged community leaders and the local authorities to continue their efforts in partnership with law enforcement agencies that bring the surrender of bandits, leading to peace between farmers and herders.
“The authorities must be allowed to investigate and deal with any breach that occurs. There is no place for violence in a decent society,” said the President.
He prayed that God will comfort families that have lost loved ones in the attacks and repose the souls of the victims.
Pay Attention To:
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Link To Check Immigration Recruitment Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Screening Exercise
- Customer Service Representative Jobs at Zenith Carex International Limited
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- Graduate Interns in a Major Oil Servicing Company
- Link to Check Names Of Shortlisted NDLEA Candidates For Final Screening – NDLEA List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Is Out
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Credit Risk Senior Analyst
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc