Following the attack on the US Capitol by a mob of President Donald Trump’s supporters, Twitter has suspended “more than 70,000 accounts” linked to the QAnon conspiracy theory.
The social network began its purge Friday, shortly after it had permanently suspended Trump’s account for language that could incite violence.
“Since Friday, more than 70,000 accounts have been suspended as a result of our efforts, with many instances of a single individual operating numerous accounts,” Twitter said in a blog post.
“These accounts were engaged in sharing harmful QAnon-associated content at scale and were primarily dedicated to the propagation of this conspiracy theory across the service.”
The far-right QAnon conspiracy theory claims Trump is waging a secret war against a global liberal cult of Satan-worshipping paedophiles.
Most major social media platforms have taken unprecedented action since Trump’s supporters invaded the Capitol Wednesday to stop Congress from certifying Joe Biden’s presidential win, shocking the US and tarnishing its international image.
Facebook and Twitter have both indefinitely suspended the accounts of Trump who has refused to accept the result of the November 3 election and spread baseless theories that the vote was rigged.
Both platforms referred to the risk of future violence, particularly before Biden’s inauguration on January 20. Twitter said it also factored in that plans for more armed protests have been proliferating on and off the service, including a proposed second attack on the US Capitol and state capitol buildings on January 17.
The social network was Trump’s preferred megaphone, and his account had 88 million subscribers when it was suspended.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Breaking News, Today News in Nigeria, Nigeria Newspaper Today, Todays Nigeria News, Latestnewsinnigeria, Naijagist, Naijaplanet , Naija News , Latest Nigerian News, Latest News in Nigeria, Nigeria News Now, News in Nigeria Today , Latest Naija News Loaded ,
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates