Court Sentence Man Who Killed Jumia Delivery Agent Over IPhone To Death
Sodienye Mbatumukeke, the man who murdered Chukwuma Eleje, a Jumia delivery agent over an iPhone in 2017 has been sentenced to death by a Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt on Monday, February 15.
The accused who has been on trial since 2017 alongside alongside one Excel Naabee.
However, Nabee was acquitted and discharged by Justice Chigozie Igwe.
Police had alleged that the two accused conspired to kill one Chukwuma Eleje, a Dispatcher for Jumia, when he went to deliver items which included an iPhone and other valuables ordered by Mbatumueke and his accomplice, Naabee in March 2017 in their house located at Ada George Road in Obio-Akpor local government area of Rivers.
According to the police, the two accused had strangled Eleje and dump his body in a septic tank.
His remains was later recovered by Homicide detectives of the Rivers State Police Command
The duo were first arraigned before a Chief Magistrate Court in Port Harcourt before the case was transferred to the State High Court.
Justice Chigozie Igwe had reserved judgment till today, 15 January 2021 after the lawyers to the accused made the final submission last December.
In his submission, Bonaventure Ugwu, the counsel to Mbatumueke had urged the court to discharge and acquit his client with claim that the prosecution did not prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
Lucky Agor, the lawyer to Naabee, also asked the court to discharge and acquit his client, arguing that the prosecution failed to prove that Naabee was an accomplice in the murder of Eleje.
But in a counter submission, the Prosecution Counsel urged the Court to convict the accused as the 42 exhibits and 10 witnesses presented before the court proved their culpability in the murder of the Jumia agent.
He said the confessional statement of Mbatumeke proved that he tricked the deceased to come into the compound so he could kill him and collect his valuables.
Get Auto Insurance Online, Geico Insurance, Start Online College Today, Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Breaking News, Today News in Nigeria, Nigeria Newspaper Today, Todays Nigeria News, Latestnewsinnigeria, Naijagist, Naijaplanet , Naija News , Latest Nigerian News, Latest News in Nigeria, Nigeria News Now, News in Nigeria Today , Latest Naija News Loaded ,
Hot Nigerian Jobs 🔥
- Wema Bank Plc Recruitment 2021 for Retail Relationship Management Officers
- Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN Recruitment 2021 ) of Independent Infrastructure Asset Manager
- 2021 Massive Recruitment at the Management Sciences for Health
- Massive Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2021 at Food Concepts Plc
- 2021 Massive Recruitment at 9mobile
- Polaris Bank Entry Level Graduate Recruitment 2021 (Nationwide)
- Nigerian Air Force Recruitment 2021 for Airmen / Airwomen
- Nigerian Army 2021 Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Trades/Non Tradesmen & Women (81RRI)
- WAEC Recruitment 2021 ( West Africa Examination Council, WAEC 2021 Recruitment )
- Massive Recruitment at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
From Ejes Gist Nigeria
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s opinion, they do not reflect the views of the Publisher of EJES GIST NIGERIA. Please report any fake news , misinformation or defamatory statements to email@example.com
Guides For Jobs
Federal Government Agencies
(Check Updates & Current Status of Federal Government Job Recruitment Form)
Jobs in Nigeria by State