In a letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the man in charge of Britain’s pandemic response, including the nationwide vaccine rollout, resigned.
He stated, “We owe it to people who have suffered so much in this pandemic to be honest when we have let them down, as I have done by violating the guidance.”
Johnson expressed his regret at receiving Hancock’s resignation, but added that he should be “very proud” of his work.
ALSO READ : APC Group Suspends Godswill Akpabio
After admitting to violate Covid guidelines on social distancing, the prime minister first stood by his ailing health secretary, at a time when he was asking the public to support the restrictions, which included a cap on funeral numbers.
The administration has been accused of hypocrisy by opposition parties by violations of lockdown laws, which have resulted in fines being imposed on many members of the public.
After The Sun tabloid published a security camera still allegedly obtained from a whistleblower showing Hancock kissing an aide in his office on May 6, Hancock admitted he had let the people down.
The main opposition Labour Party demanded answers from the government regarding the aide’s undisclosed appointment to Hancock’s senior advisory team, which included former lobbyist Gina Coladangelo.
She and Hancock met in university and are now married.
Following the release of private WhatsApp exchanges in which Johnson appeared to describe Hancock as “hopeless,” Hancock rebuffed criticism of his handling of the Covid epidemic.
Hancock has also been accused of lying to Johnson and awarding a contract to a friend who was unfit.
Further doubts have been raised concerning his ownership of shares in a family business that got a Covid-related contract from his ministry last year.
# UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock
Credit : AFP
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization