Eight cows had been reportedly killed on Thursday by lightning on a mountain in Oyinmo Quarter, Ikare Akoko, headquarters of Akoko North East Local Government Area of Ondo State.
The incident occurred barely a month after 36 cows had been killed by lightning in Ijare city in Ifedore Local Government Area of the state.
It was gathered that the cows, owned by some herdsmen, had been struck lifeless whereas grazing on high of the mountain.
The two herders tending the cows had been mentioned to have fled the scene after the incident.
However, a source mentioned that 5 males have been arrested by the police for getting the lifeless cows from the herders.
“Immediately after the cows were struck dead, the two herdsmen that were with the cows, rushed to the butchers in town and sold the cows to them at cheaper prices. But the police got to know of it and arrested all of them,” the source mentioned.
Police spokesman Femi Joseph mentioned investigation had begun.
He mentioned: “It was the environmental officers who discovered that the Fulani boys were selling the contaminated cows to the butchers and reported to us. Four butchers and one herder have been arrested over the matter. We will sue them to court after investigation.”
State Chairman of the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association (MACBAN) Alhaji Garuba Bello mentioned he had not been briefed in regards to the improvement.
“I have been calling the chairman in Ikare Akoko to know what happened, but his line was not reachable,” he mentioned.
Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
- 2021 Graduate Trainees Recruitment in a Manufacturing Company ( 3 positions )
- Delta State Urban Water Corporation Recruitment For Graduates and SSCE
- Vitafoam Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Frsc Recruitment 2021 July/August Form Portal | Apply Here | FRSC recruitment Login Portal
- Job for Depot Assistant in an Oil and Gas Company based in Port Harcourt
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for SSCE & Graduates