PIND is a Nigerian non-profit Foundation established in 2010 with initial funding by Chevron Corporation to support a portfolio of socio-economic development programs for Nigeria’s Niger Delta in order to improve standards of living of communities in the region. PIND supports projects in collaboration with a diverse range of donor partners including bilateral and multi-lateral aid agencies, federal and state government agencies in Nigeria, private companies and foundations.
With an overarching goal of increasing income and employment in the region, the Foundation has two distinct but interrelated program areas. They are:
- An economic development program focused on generating opportunities for pro-poor market development and employment generation.
- A peace-building program that strengthens conflict resolution mechanisms for enabling integrated peace and economic growth
The Foundation established an internship program to allow students and young graduates to develop their professional interests and capacity in their chosen career paths in fields related to PIND’s programs and operations.
The internship provides opportunities to share ideas and have exposure to PIND’s programs and projects, with the following key learning goals:
● Learning how theoretical knowledge gained is applied in a practical professional setting; and
● Providing interns with an enriching professional work environment within PIND that would help career directions/decisions.
Title: IPDU Intern
PIND’s Peacebuilding Program has as its objectives, the reduction of violence as a key constraint to economic growth in the region. The program also operates along two strands; the Integrated Peace and Development Unit (IPDU) and the Partners for Peace (P4P) Project. The mission of P4P is to build social capital around peacebuilding across the 9 states of the Niger Delta by amplifying the voices of positive actors, building a grassroots network of self-identified agents of peace, and leveraging that network to achieve sustainable peace in the region.
On the other hand, the IPDU promotes collaboration and synergy amongst the existing local, regional, and national efforts of actors in both public and private sectors to address conflict early warning and response in the Niger Delta. IPDU supports PIND, P4P and other donors and
organizations through its three components; research, capacity building, and applied learning, aimed at the early targeting and mitigating of potential drivers of instability. IPDU has been recognized by stakeholders as a repository of data and research on conflict in the Niger Delta.
The roles of the IPDU Research unit mainly includes data collection, analysis, publication and dissemination of findings; analysis of conflict risks and hot spots of violence; provision of technical expertise relevant to research and analysis; technical guidance on standard indicators for reporting and monitoring; training on the Early Warning/Early Response systems; linking of local level peacebuilding structures to the Early Warning/Early Response platform; and technical support to the P4P network and other stakeholders.
Based on the foregoing, PIND seeks to engage an Intern to support the IPDU. The Intern will provide the needed additional human resources in order to improve the quality of IPDU deliverables
Purpose of the Assignment
The intern would assist the Research Coordinator to provide technical support to organisations on how to use the Peace Map and Early Warning/Early Response infrastructure, and to regularly register Peace Agents on the P4P Peace Map. The intern will also provide support for coding and formatting of over 400 incident reports every month, forwarding of conflict early warning reports to Prevent Committees for early response, and weekly correspondence with P4P Peace Monitors and Prevent Committees.
The objectives of this internship are as follows:
- Assist the IPDU Research Coordinator to collate and code conflict data from 6 sources (Nigeria Watch, CIEPD, ACLED, P4P SMS, MWAN, and GADA).
- Support the IPDU Research Coordinator to collate data for weekly/quarterly trackers, policy briefings and special conflict reports.
- Weekly telephone engagement with over 50 active P4P Peace Monitors across the 9 states of the Niger Delta on conflict incident reporting.
- Monitors the IPDU SMS platform in real-time and send conflict early warning alerts to P4P Prevent Committee members and other stakeholders.
- Daily analysis of online and print media to monitor and collate data on conflict and instability in the Niger Delta.
- Regularly update a distribution/mailing list for the SMS platform to ensure seamless forwarding of alerts to stakeholders
- Register peace building organisation into the Peace Map at the end of every P4P/IPDU trainings, workshops and other stakeholders’ engagements.
- Update Peace building’s weekly program activities on the PIND’s Monday Morning Meeting drive, as well as monthly reports.
- Provides administrative and secretariat support to the IPDU.
- Perform other related responsibilities as needed.
The Internship opportunity is at PIND’s Economic Development Centre in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.
The Intern will be remunerated in accordance with PIND’s internship policy.
It is expected that this assignment will run for a total of 6 months starting from March 2020 and be renewable for another 6 months.
Knowledge, Skills & Qualifications
- A minimum of BSc/BA/HND in relevant field of studies.
- A self-starter with good time management and organisational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must be computer literate with strong analytical and numerical skills.
- Basic understanding of databases.
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis and word processing tools (Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Entry level.
How to Apply
Application letter and CV should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘IPDU Intern’ as subject of email, not later than February 18, 2020.
Only shortlisted candidates would be contacted
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Nigerian Breweries Plc Recruitment for Senior Regulatory Affairs Manager
- Massive Recruitment at Dangote Refinery for Graduates
- Kaduna State Residents Registration Agency (KADSRRA) Massive Recruitment
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for Graduate Internship
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Entry Level Tellers
- Ebonyi State Ministry of Trade and Investment Job Recruitment Portal – Apply Here
- LifeBank Recruitment 2021 (Apply here for free)
- United Nigeria Airlines Recruitment for Baggage Handler (Entry-level)
- US Embassy Recruitment In Nigeria ( Apply Here for free )
- Current Job Openings at First Bank of Nigeria Limited