On Sunday, a bridge in Jigawa State’s Gwaram Local Government Area collapsed, killing about 21 military trainees.
Their car became immersed in flood at the Gwaram/Basirka route in Jigawa State, resulting in their death.
Read also : Breaking: Nollywood Actor, Kunle Agboola Is Dead
The victims were travelling in a Hummer commuter bus from Kano to Adamawa when the tragedy occurred, according to Musbahu Basirka, chairwoman of the Jigawa Civil Society Forum.
According to Mr Basirka, among the deceased is a teenage girl, although one of the army recruits is claimed to have survived with a leg injury.
Recall that on August 6, the state administration stated that traffic was diverted off the highway connecting the state and Kano with northeast Nigeria due to worries about the condition of a bridge along the route following heavy rains.
Commuters were encouraged to take alternate routes so that maintenance on the bridge could be completed.
The bridge designated for the renovation, however, was not the one that collapsed on Sunday.
Officials in the state have yet to respond to the news.
Police spokesman man ASP Lawan Shiisu Adam confirmed the incident to Newsmen.
He said the military recruits were en route to Gombe State.
According to Mr Adam, a Hummer bus carrying 18 passengers from Kano to Adamawa and an unregistered truck carrying three passengers both crashed into a culvert that had been flooded.
“At about 6 a.m. today, Sunday, August 15th, 2021, the police received a distress call from Radabi village reporting an accident on the Gwaram-Basirka road.
“The accident occurred when a Hummer bus with registration number FYK 406 ZA transporting 18 passengers from Kano to Adamawa state and a Canter lorry transporting three passengers to an unknown destination collided in a flooded culvert.
“Victims were taken to Basirka hospital, where medical doctors confirmed that 21 of the passengers had died,” Mr Shiisu added.
He did say, however, that one of the passengers, Simon Chinapi, 26, of Mubi, Adamawa, survived the crash.
The state’s Commissioner of Police, Aliyu Tafida, visited the scene and ordered a swift and discreet inquiry into the event, according to a police spokeswoman.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Current Job Openings at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Massive Recruitment at Dangote Refinery for Graduates
- Ebonyi State Ministry of Trade and Investment Job Recruitment Portal – Apply Here
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Entry Level Tellers
- US Embassy Recruitment In Nigeria ( Apply Here for free )
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for Graduate Internship
- Kaduna State Residents Registration Agency (KADSRRA) Massive Recruitment
- United Nigeria Airlines Recruitment for Baggage Handler (Entry-level)
- Nigerian Breweries Plc Recruitment for Senior Regulatory Affairs Manager
- LifeBank Recruitment 2021 (Apply here for free)