By EMMANUEL OKOGBA
FIFA had announced the deduction of three points from our fourteen points and awarded them to Algeria over the fielding of an ineligible player, Shehu Abdullahi, in the final leg of the qualification for the tournament which will hold in Russia in 2018. Abdullahi was given a one-match ban which he had not served when he was drafted to play in the second leg of Nigeria’s away tie against Algeria.
FIFA ruled as follows: “The Nigeria Football Federation is liable for having breached Article.55 paragraph.1 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code and article 8 of the 2018 Regulations of the FIFA World Cup Russia. “The match played within the frame of the preliminary competition of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia between Algeria and Nigeria on 10 November 2017 is declared to be lost by forfeit by Nigeria (3-0).”
Nigeria was also fined 6,000 Swiss Francs or N2.2 million. Luckily and happily, the deduction did not affect our standing at the top of the log as Nigeria had already qualified for the tournament before the Algeria match.
This kind of blunder which escaped the attention of the coaches led by Gernot Rohr and also the Technical Department of the Nigerian Football Federal (NFF) is as unconscionable as it is potentially dangerous. If the country had had a narrow lead, its qualification could have been nullified. The euphoria that is still the toast of our football circles would have been cut short. It would have been a massive shocker in the soccer world where Nigeria has established a foothold as a major force from the African continent.
Such a turn of events could have sparked off riots leading to the destruction of lives and property in view of the deep love Nigerians have for football which stands as perhaps the only unifying factor for the citizenry. The mistake of a few unconscionable officials could have reversed the thrill of our most commanding world cup qualification in history.
Our football house has remained a sorry symbol of the general incompetence and unwholesomeness of our public institutions, which is why the country is so poorly governed. The NFF has been severally sanctioned by FIFA for age cheating, bribery, corruption and other misdemeanours.
We call on the football governing body to probe and punish those responsible for the blunder. It should wake up from its slumber, clean up its acts and give Nigerians the quality football administration they deserve.
HOT JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Massive Recruitment 2020 at United Nigeria Airlines
- Federal University of Technology Owerri FUTO Recruitment 2020 For Graduates (42 Positions)
- Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority NSIA Recruitment 2020 For Graduates
- Federal Ministry of Water Resources Recruitment 2020
- Benue State Recruitment 2020 for World Bank Assisted Project
- Nigerian Army 2020 Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Trades/Non Tradesmen & Women (80RRI)
- Nasarawa State Civil Service Commission Recruitment 2020
- Massive Recruitment in a Newly Licensed Regional Commercial Bank (74 Positions) – Nextzon Business Services Limited
- Nigerian Air Force Hospital 2020/2021 Housemanship / Internship Recruitment
- Nigeria Maritime University (NMU) Academic and Non-Academic Job Recruitment (38 Positions)
- Nigerian Army Nationwide DSSC & SSC Massive Recruitment (27 Positions)
- Nigerian Army Hospitals Graduate House Officers & Interns 2020 Recruitment
For Breaking News, or Eye witness report Contact us on: SMS/Whatsapp: +2347033247217 Email: [email protected].com
NOTE : No Genuine Employer will Request for MONEY from Job Seekers
The views expressed in this article are the Author/writer’s, they do not reflect the views of EJES GIST NEWS. Please report any fake news or defamatory statements to [email protected]
LATEST JOBS IN NIGERIA
TOP TRENDING POST
MOST POPULAR JOBS
- Waec timtable august 17th
- My schoolgist waec time table 2020
- Boost sex buy boiling the pawpaw leave and the gwava
- Waec 17th august 2020 time table
- Recent waec 2020 timetable for 17th august
- 17 august 2020 weac timetable
- Waec time table starting 17th august 2020
- Waec timetable 2020 for august 17
- Wassce examination timtable 17august 2020
- Weac timetable for 17th august