Gumi warned that it would only worsen the situation in a statement posted on his Facebook page on Monday.
He specifically warned that the recent military force used in Zamfara State to combat bandits and herdsmen is counterproductive and may not produce the best results.
The cleric stated that the state could have become a shining example for others if those in power had promoted literacy and economic empowerment.
“The rustled cattle population was greatly reduced as a result of the massive movement of rustled cattle. The majority of the rustling started with rural herdsmen and progressed to the North-Western region.”
“Herdsmen had only three choices: join the rustlers, pay a bribe to the rustlers for protection, or lose their cattle. In 2014, a military ‘intervention’ in the Birnin-Gwari Forest to combat cattle rustling turned the headsmen into a resistance movement after hundreds of innocent Fulani Ruga men, women, and children were murdered.
“In the past, military actions have aggravated the situation by inciting herdsmen resistance. Any further action will exacerbate their religious fanaticism. It protects them from being labelled as thieves while also bolstering their mobilisation of gullible young unemployed youth, as we saw with Boko Haram.”
Tags: Stop Using Military Force on Bandits
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)