News at our Desk affirmed that at least six persons have died while many others injured after a mining pit which collapsed on Tuesday, December 17, at Zawan Community in Jos South Local Government Area of Plateau.
50 persons were reportedly inside the mining pit when it collapsed on them.
Mr. Gwottson Fom, Member representing Jos South Constituency in the State House of Assembly confirmed the sad incident in a statement on Wednesday, December 18.
He said the victims (aged from 20 to 27) were carrying out an illegal activity when the mining pit collapse.
“We know that these young persons died carrying out an illegal activity but it is obvious unemployment led them into doing it.
“People go out of their way to do things considered illegal just to fend for themselves and their families.
“This is not time to apportion blames but it is sad and unfortunate that a community will lose six youths in a day,’’ he said.
Fom also issued a warning to illegal miners to desist from the act, or if they must engage in it they must be licensed to do it
“If people must engage in mining activities, they should do it the right way. They must ensure they are licensed to do it,’’ he advised
Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for SSCE & Graduates
- Frsc Recruitment 2021 July/August Form Portal | Apply Here | FRSC recruitment Login Portal
- Delta State Urban Water Corporation Recruitment For Graduates and SSCE
- 2021 Graduate Trainees Recruitment in a Manufacturing Company ( 3 positions )
- Dunn and Braxton Limited Massive Recruitment for Bancassurance Executives
- Vitafoam Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment for Graduates