Turkish footballer Cevher Toktas (pictured) has been arrested after allegedly confessing to killing his five-year-old son because he ‘didn’t love him’
A Turkish footballer has been arrested after allegedly confessing to police that he smothered his five-year-old son to death with a pillow because he ‘didn’t love him’.
Defender Cevher Toktas, 32, who played in Turkey’s Super Lig between 2007 and 2009, was arrested earlier this month after his five-year-old son, Kasim, died at Dortcelik Children’s Hospital in the city of Bursa.
According to Turkish media, Toktas took his son to hospital on April 23 because he was suffering from breathing difficulties and a high fever – two symptoms of coronavirus, which has infected over 140,000 in Turkey so far.
Toktas and his son were placed into quarantine together by doctors but later that day he reportedly informed staff that Kasim was struggling to breathe. The boy was taken to intensive care but died shortly afterwards.
It is claimed that hospital staff ruled the five-year-old’s death as natural and it that Covid-19 was recorded as the cause of death.
However, 11 days after the the boy’s death, Toktas reportedly travelled to a local police station to hand himself in and admit that he had killed his son.
‘After he stopped moving, I lifted the pillow. Then I yelled for doctors to help to draw any suspicions away from me.’
Toktas is also said to have told cops that the reason he killed Kasim was because he ‘didn’t love him’ and hadn’t ‘since he was born’.
The defender, who reportedly insisted he doesn’t have any ‘mental issues’, was immediately arrested. He will allegedly be tried for ‘murdering a close relative’ aand faces a life sentence if found guilty.
Kasim was buried in a makeshift grave shortly after his death but authorities now want his body exhumed in order for an autopsy to take place as part of the ongoing investigation.
Source: Daily Mail UK
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health