Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, the embattled leader of Nigeria’s proscribed Islamic Movement, and his wife have been released by a Kaduna State High Court.
Justice Gideon Kurada, the presiding judge, upheld Sheikh Ibraheem El-Zakzaky and his wife’s no-case submission after an eight-hour hearing.
ALSO, READ BREAKING: Supreme Court upholds Oluwarotimi Akeredolu’s election with Four-to-three Decision
The Kaduna state government has charged them with culpable homicide, unlawful assembly, and disruption of public order.
The prosecution failed to establish a prima facie case against the defendants, according to the judge.
El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenat Ibrahim, have been on trial for four years on an eight-count charge of alleged culpable homicide, disruption of the public peace, and unlawful assembly, among other charges, brought by the Kaduna state government against them.
Officials from the Nigerian Correctional Service brought the defendants to court on Wednesday morning amid tight security.
Mr Femi Falana, their lead counsel and a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, had argued on July 1 that the prosecution’s 15 witnesses had failed to establish any link between the alleged crimes and Sheikh El-Zakzaky and his wife.
Falana then asked the court to rule in his clients’ favour and dismiss the charges brought against them, claiming that the Kaduna State Government had yet to establish a criminal case against them.
Thanks for reading Sheikh Ibrahim El-Zakzaky, Wife Discharged and Acquitted by High Court in Kaduna
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria