President Muhammadu Buhari was unable to give his prepared speech as a large crowd overwhelmed security at the venue of his election campaign in Jos on Saturday, January 19.
The president was reported to have taken almost 30 minutes to reach his seat after arriving the Rwang Pam stadium. According Premium Times, the crowd, believed to be supporters of the president’s party, surged toward the podium while some climbed the top of vehicles in the entourage of the president.
The news outlet reports further that the president left the venue of the rally as security personnel battled unsuccessfully to push the crowd back. Meanwhile, Femi Adesina, Femi Adesina special adviser to the president on media and publicity in a statement sighted by Legit.ng appreciated the people of Plateau state but also calls for restraints among supporters in future campaigns.
The statement read: “President Muhammadu Buhari extends heartfelt appreciation to the people of Plateau State, who turned out in innumerable numbers to welcome him in Jos, during his presidential campaign visit on Saturday.
“The Rwang Pam Township Stadium, venue of the event, was completely overrun by a sea of humanity, made of ecstatic supporters of the President, who kept hailing the man they love and admire. So much was the tumult that the President could not eventually address the crowd. “After waiting for about an hour, with the melee not receding, but rather increasing in tempo and fervour, President Buhari received illustrious Plateau citizens who were crossing to the All Progressives Congress (APC) from other political parties, waved at the appreciative crowd, and left for Abuja.
“The President lauds Plateau people for turning out in their thousands to welcome him into Jos, lining the roads right from the airport, defying the boiling sun.
“He thanks them for their steadfastness over the years, and for continued faith in the administration, which was indicated by the turnout at the stadium.
“President Buhari sues for greater restraint from teeming supporters and appreciative Nigerians in other campaign stops ahead, pleading that they allow the campaign programme run as planned, since it is also an opportunity for him to give a stewardship report.
“We have been serving you for about four years, we want another four years mandate from you, it is needful for you to allow us give you a report. You deserve it,” the President says.
“Campaign visits resume on Monday, as President Buhari is resolved to get to all parts of the country, before the February 14 deadline
Pay Attention To:
- United Nations recruitment for a Programme Officer
- Link to Check Names Of Shortlisted NDLEA Candidates For Final Screening – NDLEA List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Is Out
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate
- Link To Check Immigration Recruitment Shortlisted Candidates 2021 Screening Exercise
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- Graduate Interns in a Major Oil Servicing Company