Security “Not Too Much To Ask”
The Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, Matthew Kukah, believes that asking the Federal Government to secure lives and property is not too much to ask, and that government at all levels must provide an enabling environment for citizens to thrive.
During a virtual interview with academic and historian Toyin Falola on Sunday, the cleric known for his criticisms of President Muhammadu Buhari’s regime stated this.
His remarks came as the country’s insecurity levels rose across the board, with bandits, insurgents, kidnappers, and other criminals terrorising Nigerians.
During the interview, Kukah also bemoaned the fact that politicians turn to clerics when they fail to deliver on governance issues, but emphasised that the Nigerian state must be run with a long-term vision for all to prosper.
Economic discontent among Nigerians, he claims, is one of the causes of insecurity in the country.
“To create a good society, you don’t treat unequal people equally, and you don’t treat equal people unequally,” Kukah explained. “If you have a society where just being a woman penalises you, or just belonging to a different religion penalises you, or just being of a different social class penalises you, then you don’t have a chance of pulling together the resources, mental ability, and otherwise that you need.”
“So, in the end, how do you create an environment where everyone thrives according to their abilities?” says the author. That is the responsibility of those who create and manage the state, because not everyone wants to be a civil servant, and not everyone wants to work for the government; people simply want to be able to do their jobs.
READ ALSO : Tension As Fulani Warlord, Wakili’s Son Kills Four People In Oyo After His Father’s Arrest ( Video )
“But now, if you have a country where you can’t do the things you want to do because of insecurity, because the light isn’t there, because the roads aren’t there, then you have a problem, whether you’re a government official or a private citizen.
You don’t need a prophet to tell you that society is breeding and creating dissatisfaction, which could lead to violence.”
# Security “Not Too Much To Ask”
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates