The Lagos Police Command has arrested a squad of officers accused of extorting N200,000 from a Nigerian living in the United Arab Emirates over the weekend.
After some social media activists recounted the victim’s ordeal on Twitter, the rogue cops were identified on Friday.
According to reports, the victim was intercepted by police in Festac while riding in a taxi he had taken from the airport.
Activist Rinu Oduala said the team who accosted the UAE returnee profiled him, illegally searched his phone, threatened him, and dragged him to their station, lamenting the continued harassment and extortion of young people by some police officers.
“Do you see why some of us haven’t taken #EndSARS off our signs? They coerced him to write false statements without consulting his lawyer, then demanded N5,000,000. He paid N200,000 in the end. “A young Nigerian returns home after years away and has nightmares on his first night in the country,” she explained.
Also Read: Buhari Has Not Failed Us – Governor Aminu Masari ( Full Details )
According to the victim, the rogue cops took him to a nearby POS operator, where they took N200,000 from his account.
Olumuyiwa Adejobi, a police spokesman, said the matter had been “managed” and that the money had been “recovered and returned to the man.” The officers will be tried and sentenced soon. I’m keeping an eye on their situation, and they must undoubtedly face the full force of the law. They’ve been apprehended.
Job Vacancies in Nigeria
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)