Moyinoluwa Olowoyo, an #EndSARS protester, has been detained by the Ekiti State Police Command for 30 days without trial for taking part in demonstrations in the state, his family has said.
According to The PUNCH, the 26-year-old student of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, was arrested on October 20, 2020, by the Department of State Services in Ado Ekiti before being handed over to the State Criminal Investigation Department.
Two days after his arrest, the student was transported to the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Abuja for about a week for unknown reasons and then taken back to Ado Ekiti where he has remained ever since.
Moyinoluwa’s younger brother, Olayemi, told The PUNCH that his brother was never involved in any violent protest as all his protest videos on social media clearly show him warning people against violence.
Olayemi said his brother may have been singled out because he is a former member of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party.
He said his family was asked to write an apology letter to the Governor Kayode Fayemi-led state government before he would be released.
Olayemi stated, “My brother never attacked anyone. In fact, his videos on Twitter show him calling on people not to attack anybody. But he was arrested on October 20, 2020. He works at Fajuyi Market where he sells phones and he is also a student at the Federal Polytechnic Ado Ekiti. He is 26 years old. I was told that he was arrested at Fajuyi Park. He was arrested by the DSS and then handed over to SCID. They said we should return on October 22 but when we returned, we were told that he had been taken to Abuja.
“An activist in Abuja, Henry Shield, intervened and police said they would not release him until they get orders from above. They took him back to Ekiti State on October 28.
“One of the activists handling the matter said the Commissioner of Police and the Attorney General in the state asked that a letter of apology must be written before he is released and I was against this but my father agreed to do so because of my mother’s health condition.”
A bail application by a lawyer, Nkereuwem Akpan, addressed to the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Intelligence Bureau, dated November 3, 2020, stated that Moyinoluwa had not been charged with any crime and yet the police had refused to release him.
Speaking with our correspondent, activist, Henry Shield, said Ekiti Senator, Abiodun Olujimi, also tried to intervene but it seemed the police were bent on detaining Moyinoluwa for reasons best known to them.
Shield said the police had no genuine reason for taking Moyinoluwa to Abuja in the first place and accused the Federal Government of running a police state.
He said, “We got the senator involved and she confirmed to us that they were demanding an apology. I understand that the guy’s father wrote the apology but the police have still refused to release him. There is no court order for his detention.
“In fact, there was no reason for his transfer to Abuja. It was actually hoodlums that arrested him and handed him over to the DSS before police took over. That is to show you how lawless Nigeria is.”
But the spokesman for the governor, Yinka Oyebode, denied that the state government had a hand in Moyinoluwa’s arrest
Oyebode said the matter was purely a police matter, adding that inquiries should be directed at the Police Public Relations Officer.
However, the police spokesman, Sunday Abutu, neither responded to repeated calls nor a text message on Saturday.
Nigeria Latest News, Nigeria Breaking News, Today News in Nigeria, Nigeria Newspaper Today, Todays Nigeria News, Latestnewsinnigeria, Naijagist, Naijaplanet , Naija News , Latest Nigerian News, Latest News in Nigeria, Nigeria News Now, News in Nigeria Today
HOT JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- 2020 Graduate Trainee Programme at Dufil Prima Foods Plc
- LGA Coordinators at Development Alternatives Incorporated ( Nationwide)
- Federal Government Vacancies at The Federal University of Petroleum
- Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- National Health Insurance Scheme Recruitment 2020 ( Nationwide 16 Positions)
- Academic and Non-academic Positions at Caleb University
- Massive Recruitment at Federal University of Health Sciences Otukpo for Teaching And Non Teaching Staff
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Bank of Industry Recruitment ( Latest Jobs In Nigeria )
- Rivers State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment 2020 (60 Positions)
- Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Food Concepts Plc
- Rivers State Ministry of Education MassiveRecruitment 2020 for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff
- Massive Recruitment at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2020 for Exper Graduates [ 9 Positions, 29 slots ]
- Dangote Cement Plc Recruitment 2020 for Graduates [33 Positions Over 200 Slots ]