Oye Owolewa Nigerian-born Democrat, elected as Shadow US Rep, Emerges 1st Nigerian Congressman in History
Nigerian-born Democrat, Oye elected as Shadow US Rep, emerges 1st Nigerian congressman in history
The 30-year-old is the first Nigerian congressman in the country’s history.
A Nigerian-born Democrat, Oye Owolewa, has been elected as a shadow United States Representative out of the District of Columbia.
JUST IN: Democrat Oye Owolewa will be elected as a shadow U.S. Representative out of the District of Columbia.
— ABC 7 News – WJLA (@ABC7News) November 4, 2020
This was disclosed by ABC 7 News via its Twitter handle early on Wednesday morning.
It tweeted, “Democrat Oye Owolewa will be elected as a shadow U.S. Representative out of the District of Columbia.”
How Oye won
Based on the results, Oye had 82.65% of the votes, which represents 135,234 votes against Joyce Robinson-Paul, who had 15,541 votes, and Sohaer Syed with 12,846 votes.
Click here to see the election results:
DABIRI EREWA FELICITATES WITH OYE OWOLEWA, FIRST NIGERIAN TO WIN USA CONGRESSIONAL SEAT
ABUJA, NOV. 04, 2020: Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission ( NIDCOM) has congratulated Mr Oye Owolewa [@AdeoyeOwolewa], the first Nigerian pic.twitter.com/ks3b7IGwMl
— Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (@nidcom_gov) November 4, 2020
Meanwhile, the Nigeria in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), has congratulated the feat recorded by Oye.
In the letter of congratulations, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, DG, NIDCOM, said she was pleased with the wonderful feat of Mr Owolewa, describing it as well deserved.
She acknowledged the sterling qualities of Owolewa as a role model to the youths and a good ambassador of Nigeria which endeared him to the grassroot leading to his historical election into the US Parliament.
She advised him to diligently carry out his duties as a new congressman in such a way as to positively impact on the community who entrusted him with their votes.
Despite the campaign being toilsome, Owolewa pulled through and won.
“This goes to show that with dedication, hardwork, resilience and prayer one can achieve just about anything”, Dabiri-Erewa said.
What you should know
Oye Owolewa, whose father is from Kwara State and mother is from Oyo, is aiming for a ‘shadow’ (non-voting) seat in the House of Representatives.
Owolewa, a PhD holder in Pharmacy from the Northeastern University, Boston, is seeking to represent the District of Columbia under the Democratic Party.
What it means
The 30-year-old is the first Nigerian congressman in the country’s history
# Oye Owolewa
HOT JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- 2020 Graduate Trainee Programme at Dufil Prima Foods Plc
- LGA Coordinators at Development Alternatives Incorporated ( Nationwide)
- Federal Government Vacancies at The Federal University of Petroleum
- Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- National Health Insurance Scheme Recruitment 2020 ( Nationwide 16 Positions)
- Academic and Non-academic Positions at Caleb University
- Massive Recruitment at Federal University of Health Sciences Otukpo for Teaching And Non Teaching Staff
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Bank of Industry Recruitment ( Latest Jobs In Nigeria )
- Rivers State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment 2020 (60 Positions)
- Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Food Concepts Plc
- Rivers State Ministry of Education MassiveRecruitment 2020 for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff
- Massive Recruitment at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2020 for Exper Graduates [ 9 Positions, 29 slots ]
- Dangote Cement Plc Recruitment 2020 for Graduates [33 Positions Over 200 Slots ]