The Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF) Mr Abubakar Malami, (SAN) told the Federal High Court Abuja on Monday that the suspension of Sen. Ovie Omo-Agege was unconstitutional, illegal and unlawful.
Malami, who is the 3rd defendant in the ongoing suit brought by Omo-Agege challenging his suspension from the Senate, made his position known through his counsel, Mr Dayo Apata.
Apata, who doubles as the Solicitor-General of the Federation, in his submission, said that the role of the AGF was to defend and protect the constitution, adding that he had to react to any issue that had to do with the constitution.
“According to Section 4(8), 39, 40 of the Constitution and Articles of the African Charter on Human Rights, all the actions of the senate relating to the suspension of the plaintiff (Omo-Agege) are unconstitutional, illegal and unlawful.”
The solicitor-general urged the court to hold that the senate’s actions were unlawful.
Mr Mahmud Magaji (SAN), counsel to the Senate and the Senate President, in his submission, urged the court to dismiss the suit on the grounds that the senator had himself, participated in the suspension of other senators.
“The plaintiff is not an ordinary senator but a lawyer and a member of the Senate Committee on Ethics and Privileges.
“He has participated in several committee meetings leading to the suspension of other senators such as Ndume, so he who lives by the sword, should die by the sword.
“He who has participated in the suspension of his colleagues cannot now run to the court for protection.
“He swore to an oath to be bound by the rules of the senate, including the standing orders,” Magaji said.
Mr Alex Iziyon (SAN), counsel to Omo-Agege in his submission, prayed the court to consider what had been done by the senate as an affront to the dignity of the court.
Iziyon argued that the court had the powers to pull down what has been done by the senate.
He said this was on the grounds that while the matter was still pending in court, the senate went ahead and slammed the 90 legislative days suspension on his client.
Having listened to submissions from all the counsel, the judge, Justice Nnamdi Dimgba, adjourned the matter until May 10 to deliver judgment.
Earlier, the court refused an application by Sen. Samuel Anyanwu and Sen. Bala Ibn Na’allah, Chairman and Vice Chairman, Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and other Petitions.
The senators had applied to be joined as parties in the suit but the court refused on the grounds that they were not necessary parties in the suit.
Mr Paul Erokoro (SAN), counsel to both senators, had urged the court to allow them to be joined as parties by virtue of the fact that they were chairman and vice chairman of the committee.
“They are necessary parties in this suit because it is the report their committee produced that the plaintiff seeks to impugned and set aside.
“Moreover, whatever decision the court takes will affect them and members of the committee because their personal conduct is being questioned,” Erokoro said.
Omo-Agege, who represents Delta Central Senatorial District, filed the suit to challenge his suspension from the senate.
He asked the court to among other reliefs, grant an order restraining the defendants, their servants, agents, privies or officers from interfering with his rights and privileges as a senator.
QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS IN YOUR FIELD
- Vacancies for an Accountant at IT Horizons Limited
- Asharami Energy Limited recruitment for Entry Level Data Analysts
- Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company (IBEDC) Plc, Latest Job Openings 21st August 2019
- Quanlee Overseas Warehouse Nigeria Limited : Latest Recruitment (37 Openings)
- Supreme Court takes decision on PDP’s INEC server claim
DON’T GIVE UP HUNTING FOR JOB
HOT JOBS, RECOMMEND FOR YOU
- NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE CORPS 2019 Massive Recruitment
- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Recruitment 2019
- Dangote Cement Plc, Recruitment 8th August 2019
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2019: Latest Vacancies ( 4 Slots )
- IROKO TV Partners Limited massive recruitment for Outbound Telesales Agents (500 slots )
- Edo State Government 2019 Apprenticeship Programme
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) recruitment for Observers in Kogi and Bayelsa States, August 2019
- Kaduna State Government 2019 Massive Recruitment for Entry-level & Exp
- Entry Level Bank Tellers recruitment in a Reputable Bank in Lagos, August 2019
- Entry Level Recruitment at UBA Bank, 1st August, 2019
- Ongoing Recruitment For Customer Service Representatives In A Renowned Commercial Bank ( Nationwide )
- Massive Recruitment at Titan Trust Bank Limited, (18 Positions )
- Julius Berger Nigeria Plc : Latest Recruitment
- First Bank of Nigeria 2019 Recruitment for 19th, July 2019 [ 8 Position ]
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOBS
JOBS BY CATEGORIES
- Abia State 11
- ABUJA FCT 36
- Adamawa State 16
- Akwa Ibom State 14
- Anambra State 12
- Apprenticeship training 3
- Banking Industry 29
- Bauchi State 9
- Bayelsa State 10
- Benue State 10
- Borno State 16
- Career Tips 7
- Construction Company 9
- Contract Job 6
- Cross River State 13
- Delta State 12
- Ebonyi State 12
- Edo State 16
- Ekiti State 11
- Engineering Jobs 15
- Entry-level Jobs 228
- Enugu State 9
- Featured 13
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECRUITMENT IN NIGERIA 2
- Full time jobs 1043
- Gombe State 10
- Google AdSense know how 6
- Hotel Management/hospitality company 4
- HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE 1
- Imo State 9
- Internship Jobs 36
- Jigawa State 8
- JOB FOR SSCE 64
- Jobs and Recruitment 1527
- Jobs for LEGAL/Law 6
- Jobs in Education 10
- JOBS IN NORTHERN NIGERIA 127
- JOBS IN SOUTH EAST 94
- JOBS IN SOUTH SOUTH 137
- JOBS IN SOUTH WEST 292
- Jos 7
- Kaduna State 15
- Kano State 11
- Katsina State 9
- Kebbi State 9
- Kogi State 11
- Kwara State 12
- Lagos State 156
- Management and Logistics Company 7
- Manager jobs 7
- Manufacturing Industry 8
- Marketing Jobs 2
- Medical /Health 13
- MSC/MS / PHD 52
- Nasarawa State 8
- NCE/OND/HND/BSC 1127
- NGO / Community Services 2
- Nigeria Election 2
- Ogun State 15
- Oil and Gas Company 27
- Ondo State 11
- Osun State 10
- Oyo State 14
- Part Time Jobs 8
- PASS QUESTIONS 1
- Plateau 7
- Rivers State 26
- SCHOLARSHIP Jobs 6
- Sokoto State 9
- Taraba State 10
- Yobe State 9
- Zamfara State 9