*** As Senate gets another mace, resumes plenary
*** This Senate will not be intimidated, Ekweremadu
By Henry Umoru
ABUJA- THUGS Wednesday morning stormed the Senate, caused confusion and went away with the Mace, the symbol of authority.
The thugs who were led by the suspended Senator Ovie Omo- Agege, APC, Delta Central, entered while plenary was on going and Deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu was presiding.
Vanguard gathered that the thugs, numbering fifteen, followed the suspended Senator Omo- Agege to the chamber, but eight of them entered the state chamber.
According to a source, while trying to lead Omo- Agege into the chamber, Sergeart- at – Arms tried to block them from entering, but they were pushed out, just as the thugs shouted at them, saying that “Nigeria belongs to all of us,we are all Nigerians, we have come to bring in our Senator it have his seat as our senato.”
According to the source, Senator Omo- Agege went straight to look eye to eye with Senator Ekweremadu who was presiding, adding that it was at this moment that one of the thugs, the smallest of them, took the mace.
It was gathered that as the incident happened, many of the Senators rushed to the tea room.
The thugs beat the security and sergeart at Arms, went away with the mace before the very eyes of all.
Two of the thugs who wore brown safari clothes, ran out of the main entrance to the Senate lobby and ran into a waiting black Prado jeep.
Meanwhile, after forty minutes of the commotion, the Senate resumed plenary at 12.10pm, having got another mace.
Speaking at resumed sitting, Senator Ekweremadu who noted that the Senate will get to the root cause of the problem and find a way out, said that the present 8th Senate will not be intimated, adding that as lawmakers, they will address all the issues in the Order Paper even it means staying to 6pm.
It will be recalled that the Senate on Wednesday, suspended Omo- Agege for ninety legislative days,
apparently for kicking against the new sequence of elections adopted by the Upper chambers which was alleged to have been targeted at President Muhammadu Buhari ahead of 2019 election. .
Senator Omo- Agege has also been asked to withdraw his suit against the Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and the Senate from the court as part of the conditions to forgive him at the expiration of the ninety legislative days suspension.
The Senate has also mandated that Parliamentary Support Group( Senate) for President Muhammadu Buhari in which Senator Omo- Agege is the Secretary and Senator Abdullahi Adamu,APC, Nasarawa West is the Chairman, must be disbanded immediately.
Decisions of the Senate were subsequent to the report of Senator Samuel Anyanwu, PDP, Imo East led Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Public Petitions which investigated the Senator.
Earlier, the Committee had recommended that Senator Omo- Agege be suspended for 181 legislative days for dragging the upper chamber to court and to serve as a deterrent to others, but following pleads from Senate leader, Senator Ahmad Lawan, APC, Yobe North and Kabiru Marafa, APC, Zamfara Central for leniency and in the spirit of one family, Senate President Bukola Saraki reduced it to 90 legislative days.
It will be recalled that the Senate had last month, asked the Committee to summon Senator Omo- Agege over his comments that the new amendment to the Electoral Act regarding election sequence in the 2019 general elections was targeted at President Muhammadu Buhari.
Presenting the report yesterday, Senator Anyanwu said, “Having carefully and fully exhausted all sides to the matter and the inherent implication therefrom for today and the future of the National Assembly, the Committee recommends as follows:
“That Senator Ovie Omo-Agege be suspended for 181 legislative days from the date this resolution is taken to serve as deterrent to other Senators who might contemplate taking the Senate to court over its power to regulate or determine its internal
QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS IN YOUR FIELD
- Soyin Caution Buhari government over use of security agencies to silence Nigerians
- Fraud : FG Parastatal paid rent on own land for 50 years
- Good news : Nigeria, Germany to partner on mechanised farming
- Boko Haram burns down 73 houses in Borno
- 15years, fakes her kidnap in Enugu to be with her boyfriend in Owerri
DON’T GIVE UP HUNTING FOR JOB
HOT JOBS, RECOMMEND FOR YOU
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) Latest Recruitment 2019
- Mass Recruitment at The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), 21st August 2019
- A Reputable Construction Company in Northern Nigeria : Ongoing recruitment ( 5 states )
- NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE CORPS 2019 Massive Recruitment
- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Recruitment 2019
- Dangote Cement Plc, Recruitment 8th August 2019
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2019: Latest Vacancies ( 4 Slots )
- IROKO TV Partners Limited massive recruitment for Outbound Telesales Agents (500 slots )
- Edo State Government 2019 Apprenticeship Programme
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) recruitment for Observers in Kogi and Bayelsa States, August 2019
- Kaduna State Government 2019 Massive Recruitment for Entry-level & Exp
- Entry Level Bank Tellers recruitment in a Reputable Bank in Lagos, August 2019
- Entry Level Recruitment at UBA Bank, 1st August, 2019
- Ongoing Recruitment For Customer Service Representatives In A Renowned Commercial Bank ( Nationwide )
- Massive Recruitment at Titan Trust Bank Limited, (18 Positions )
- Julius Berger Nigeria Plc : Latest Recruitment
- First Bank of Nigeria 2019 Recruitment for 19th, July 2019 [ 8 Position ]
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOBS
JOBS BY CATEGORIES
- Abia State 11
- ABUJA FCT 38
- Adamawa State 18
- Akwa Ibom State 14
- Anambra State 12
- Apprenticeship training 3
- Banking Industry 29
- Bauchi State 9
- Bayelsa State 11
- Benue State 10
- Borno State 18
- Career Tips 7
- Construction Company 9
- Contract Job 6
- Cross River State 13
- Delta State 12
- Ebonyi State 12
- Edo State 16
- Ekiti State 11
- Engineering Jobs 15
- Entry-level Jobs 229
- Enugu State 9
- Featured 14
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECRUITMENT IN NIGERIA 2
- Full time jobs 1071
- Gombe State 11
- Google AdSense know how 6
- Hotel Management/hospitality company 4
- HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE 1
- Imo State 9
- Internship Jobs 36
- Jigawa State 8
- JOB FOR SSCE 64
- Jobs and Recruitment 1566
- Jobs for LEGAL/Law 6
- Jobs in Education 10
- JOBS IN NORTHERN NIGERIA 127
- JOBS IN SOUTH EAST 94
- JOBS IN SOUTH SOUTH 137
- JOBS IN SOUTH WEST 294
- Jos 7
- Kaduna State 15
- Kano State 11
- Katsina State 9
- Kebbi State 10
- Kogi State 11
- Kwara State 13
- Lagos State 168
- Management and Logistics Company 7
- Manager jobs 7
- Manufacturing Industry 8
- Marketing Jobs 2
- Medical /Health 13
- MSC/MS / PHD 52
- Nasarawa State 8
- NCE/OND/HND/BSC 1166
- NGO / Community Services 2
- Nigeria Election 2
- Ogun State 17
- Oil and Gas Company 27
- Ondo State 12
- Osun State 10
- Oyo State 15
- Part Time Jobs 8
- PASS QUESTIONS 1
- Plateau 7
- Rivers State 29
- SCHOLARSHIP Jobs 6
- Sokoto State 9
- Taraba State 10
- Yobe State 9
- Zamfara State 9