Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, the Deputy Senate President, has stated that the Senate is not opposed to the electronic transmission of election results, despite the fact that 52 senators from the All Progressives Congress voted against it.
Table of Contents
- 0.1 ALSO READ : BREAKING: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Amotekun Leader, Shoot Residents In A Fresh Igangan Attack
- 0.2 ALSO READ : Obasanjo warned us Buhari unfit to rule Nigeria –Oyinlola
- 0.3 ALSO READ : Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) Recruitment: Schedule of Activities for the NCS Recruitment Screening Exercise 2021
- 0.4 ALSO READ : Full List of Senators Who Voted For and Against Electronic Transmission Of Election Results When And Where Practicable
- 1 Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
ALSO READ : BREAKING: Suspected Herdsmen Kill Amotekun Leader, Shoot Residents In A Fresh Igangan Attack
This was said by the deputy senate president while answering journalists’ queries after delivering a keynote talk titled “Nigeria’s Democratic Experience Since 1999: The Imperative of Reforming The Electoral Process” at Benson Idahosa University’s 16th convocation ceremony on Friday July 16.
With only 43% internet availability, Omo-Agege believes the country cannot opt for electronic transmission of election results.
“The 9th Senate strongly supports electronic voting and results transmission.
“What happens to the other 57% if we switch to electronic transmission for the other 43%?
“The country must wait for the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) to approve the use of electronic transmission of the results.”
ALSO READ : Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) Recruitment: Schedule of Activities for the NCS Recruitment Screening Exercise 2021
As he commented on electoral reforms, Omo-Agege stated that the issue with Nigerian elections is the “judicialization of electoral process.” He also stated that electoral offences committed by officials of the Electoral Management Bodies (EMBs), officials of political parties, candidates, and voters must be addressed to ensure the sanctity of the nation’s electoral process.
He went on to say that he does not doubt the role of the courts because electoral fairness and the adjudicatory process are acknowledged as integral aspects of the electoral process.
ALSO READ : Full List of Senators Who Voted For and Against Electronic Transmission Of Election Results When And Where Practicable
“Even when the evidence points to the opposite, the courts, not members of political parties or the electorate, choose the winners of party primaries and elections. Citizens’ trust in the electoral process is deteriorating as a result of this.
“However, the common belief that the judiciary lacks independence from the administration and that people pay for judicial decisions that benefit their personal and group interests casts doubt on the legitimacy of certain elected public officials.
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Ongoing Job recruitment at International Breweries Plc (Anheuser-Busch InBev)
- Deloitte Graduate Academy Finance and Control Internship / Training Programme 2021
- Dangote Group Recruitment for Accounts Payable Officer
- Dufil Prima Foods Plc 2021 Graduate Trainee Recruitment
- Nigerian Air Force DSSC Recruitment 2021
- Frsc Recruitment 2021 July/August Form Portal | Apply Here | FRSC recruitment Login Portal