Daily Post reports that serious rainfall in Adamawa State capital, Yola, has led to the submerging of structures, causing losses to residents.
The flood which lasted into the early hours of Thursday in some parts of the city, displaced many residents whose houses either collapsed or were submerged.
The flood affected communities in both Yola North and Yola South Local Government Areas, including Bachure, Damilu, Jambutu, Kofare, Tarsha Sani and Yolde Pate.
In these communities, many houses and shops crumbled as the flood also swept away many domestic animals.
A resident of Bachure, James Andrawus, said Thursday morning that he could not pass the night in his house.
“When it rained earlier Wednesday morning, nothing happened, but it started to rain again when I returned home from work and it continued into the night and I had to remove my perishables and left the house as the flood level rose and filled my rooms. I am currently in a friend’s house in Nasarawo,” James said in a telephone conversation.
Around Yolde Pate in Yola South, traders lost hundreds of bags of grains at a large grains market in addition to some residents being displaced by the flood torrents.
Along the Yola-Jimeta Road in Yola North, leader of Tashan Sani Timber Market, Kenneth Ogoduna, said the flood caused much damage to the wares of members.
Flood is a perennial problem in parts of the Yola metropolis where mostly shallow water channels overflow their bounds after major rainfalls.
It was evident just before the rains began that local council authorities cleared some of the channels of the rubbish that clogged them up, but the emerging rainfalls have proved such preventive measure to be inadequate.
Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
- 2021 Graduate Trainees Recruitment in a Manufacturing Company ( 3 positions )
- Nigerian Air Force DSSC Recruitment 2021 Portal Is Now Open
- Frsc Recruitment 2021 July/August Form Portal | Apply Here | FRSC recruitment Login Portal
- Delta State Urban Water Corporation Recruitment For Graduates and SSCE
- United Capital Group Plc (UCAP) Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Job for Depot Assistant in an Oil and Gas Company based in Port Harcourt