Northern States Receive over 120 Petitions
Northern Governors Kicked Against EndSars Protesters
Even with opposition against the disbandment of the special anti-robbery squad (SARS) by northern governors, some state panels constituted have continued to receive petitions from individuals on police harassment and brutalization
Ejes Gist Media recall that Protesters had taken to streets across major cities in the Nation for over two weeks in October, to demand an end to police brutality and bad governance.
ALSO READ : Human Rights Lawyer Sues Bayelsa Assembly
The Protest had led federal government to direct all state governors to set up judicial panels of inquiry to investigate complaints on police brutality or related extrajudicial killings — with a six-month time frame.
But 19 northern governors led by Simon Lalong, Plateau state governor and chairman of the Northern Governors Forum, kicked against the disbandment of the police unit, saying it has been useful in the fight against insecurity in the region.
But, over 120 petitions have been submitted to various panels set up in some of the northern states.
In Katsina, Abbas Bawale, chairman of the judicial panel, on Sunday, told journalists that 61 petitions have been received from various individuals ahead of the public hearing which would commence on November 23, 2020.
Mark Mallan, registrar of the Plateau state panel, revealed that as of November 13, petitions received by the panel have reached 30.
The Taraba state panel has received 11 petitions, 16 have been submitted in Nasarawa, while Kwara has 10.
Hajaratu Mohammed, Kaduna state judicial panel secretary, also confirmed to TheCable that the state has received several petitions from indigenes.
Mohammed said although three petitions were submitted directly to her office, the total number of petitions received cannot be ascertained as the panel is yet to have its inaugural sitting. She confirmed that some petitions have been received by the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) in the state and some other offices at the local government level.
Already, 29 states and the federal capital territory have set up the judicial panels of inquiry as directed by the federal government. But some of the panels are yet to commence sitting, while some are yet to receive any petition.
# Northern States Receive over 120 Petitions
HOT JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- 2020 Graduate Trainee Programme at Dufil Prima Foods Plc
- LGA Coordinators at Development Alternatives Incorporated ( Nationwide)
- Federal Government Vacancies at The Federal University of Petroleum
- Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- National Health Insurance Scheme Recruitment 2020 ( Nationwide 16 Positions)
- Academic and Non-academic Positions at Caleb University
- Massive Recruitment at Federal University of Health Sciences Otukpo for Teaching And Non Teaching Staff
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Bank of Industry Recruitment ( Latest Jobs In Nigeria )
- Rivers State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment 2020 (60 Positions)
- Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Food Concepts Plc
- Rivers State Ministry of Education MassiveRecruitment 2020 for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff
- Massive Recruitment at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2020 for Exper Graduates [ 9 Positions, 29 slots ]
- Dangote Cement Plc Recruitment 2020 for Graduates [33 Positions Over 200 Slots ]