Top Nigerian Newspapers Headlines Online Today For Today Monday, April 18.
Hello and good morning! Today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers is as follows:
1. Anambra State Governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, used his Easter message on Sunday to warn unknown gunmen terrorizing the state, saying that no inch of Anambra space will be won by them, no matter what they do. In his Easter message to the people of the State, which was made available to the media by his aide, Joe Anatune, Soludo gave a subtle warning.
2. It was a bleak Easter Sunday in Orlu Local Government Area, Imo State, as unidentified gunmen allegedly went on the rampage in several locations, killing one person and injuring a number of others. The shooting began at Banana Junction and then spread to the popular Nkwu-Ito Junction and its environs before security operatives intervened.
3. Rt. Hon. Abubakar Sulaiman, the Speaker of the Bauchi State House of Assembly, announced his defection from the All Progressives Congress (APC) to the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) over the weekend (PDP). Sulaiman, the chairman of the Conference of Speakers of State Houses of Assembly, stated this at the Ramadan Iftar (breakfast) hosted by the State Governor, Senator Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed, for PDP stakeholders from the Ningi, Toro, Warji, and Dass Local Government Areas of the State at the Government House in Bauchi.
4. Six members of the Kano State Executive Council resigned over the weekend, citing their desire to run for office in the general elections of 2023. This comes just hours after Kano State Governor Dr Abdullahi Umar Ganduje ordered all political appointees who want to run for elective office in the upcoming general elections in 2023 to resign from their positions by Tuesday, April 19, 2022.
5. Abdul Aziz Yari, the former governor of Zamfara State, Senator Kabiru Garba Mafara, and their supporters have abandoned the All Progressives Congress (APC) in favor of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). Bala Mande, the PDP Chairman, told reporters in Gusau, the state capital, on Sunday that the party has received Yari, Marafa, and other top APC members who have defected to the PDP along with their throngs of supporters.
6. Eze Chukwuemeka Eze, a senior member of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has described Vice President Yemi Osinbajo’s declaration of interest in the 2023 presidential election as immoral and unacceptable. Eze said Osinbajo’s declaration “is a clear tale of treachery perpetrated against Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a former Lagos State Governor,” in a statement he signed and forwarded to Ejes Gist Newspaper on Sunday.
Rev Fr Mathew Hassan Kukah, the Catholic Bishop of Sokoto Diocese, claims that President Muhammadu Buhari has divided Nigerians along ethnic, religious, and regional lines. “This carefully choreographed agenda,” the bishop said in his Easter message, had made Nigerians vulnerable and ignited the most divisive form of identity consciousness among the people.
8. Mrs Oriaku Nmadu, the mother of Osinachi Nwachukwu, the late gospel singer, has spoken out about her daughter’s death. Nmadu bemoaned the fact that her daughter had a bad marriage to Pastor Peter Nwachukwu. In Abia State, the deceased’s mother addressed members of the Nigeria Association of Women Journalists.
9. Russian air defense units claim to have shot down a Ukrainian military plane carrying a Western-supplied weapons shipment. The attack occurred outside of the city of Odessa in south-western Ukraine, according to Russian state news agency TASS, which quoted Defence Ministry spokesman Maj Gen Igor Konashenkov as saying this over the weekend.
10. Chelsea beat Crystal Palace in the FA Cup semi-final at Wembley Stadium on Sunday to advance to the final, where they will face Liverpool in May. Chelsea defeated Crystal Palace thanks to two second-half goals from Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Mason Mount.
11. Russia War in Ukraine Latest Updates:
Pope Francis called for peace in Ukraine in his Easter address, saying that “the flexing of muscle while people are suffering” had to stop.
After an EU deadline prohibiting Russian and Belarusian lorries from entering the EU’s territory passed, a line of Russian and Belarusian trucks is forming to return home via the Polish-Belarusian border.
Major-General Vladimir Frolov, deputy commander of the 8th Army, was the latest of several senior officers to die in the conflict, according to Russian officials.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal has stated that defenders of the besieged port of Mariupol will fight Russian forces to the bitter end.
Despite a Russian ultimatum to remaining Ukrainian fighters to surrender, the city has not yet fallen, he said.
Meanwhile, Ukraine’s President, Volodymyr Zelensky, stated that the country has no intention of ceding any territory in the eastern Donbas region.
Russia has focused its offensive on eastern Ukraine in recent weeks.
Five people were killed after Russia shelled Kharkiv, according to Ukrainian officials, and two more were killed in the town of Zolote.
The governor of Mykolaiv in the south, where fighters have been holding off a Russian advance on the port of Odesa, said rocket attacks had been ongoing.
Nigerian Newspapers Today latest news now