Two soldiers detained in Zamfara State for allegedly aiding banditry will be punished if found guilty, the Nigerian military said on Friday.
Defence Headquarters spokesperson Muhammad Yerima told PREMIUM TIMES that the military would not allow the actions of a few bad apples in its ranks to bring the institution into disrepute.
Recall, Ejes Gist Naija News reported that The Zamfara State Government announced the arrest of a soldier and his girlfriend in March for allegedly supplying arms and military uniforms to bandits in the state.
The state government, on the other hand, refused to provide information about the alleged incident at the time, claiming that it was waiting for military authorities to do so.
On Friday, there was yet another incident. Bello Matawalle, the state’s governor, has suspended Surajo Namakkah, the district head of Badarawa in the Shinkafi Emirate Council, for bestowing a traditional title on a military officer suspected of selling ammunition to bandits in the state.
Yusuf Idris, Mr Matawalle’s media aide, said the soldier was discovered with 20 rounds of 62mm live ammunition at the point of distribution to the criminals in a statement.
“The suspect was said to be on the verge of handing over the ammunition to one Kabiru Bashiru, a resident of Maniya village in Shinkafi Emirate, and had allegedly received a N100,000 advance payment from bandits,” the official said.
The military, according to Mr. Yerima, will not take the two issues lightly.
“Those arrested for such crimes will undoubtedly face discipline, there is no doubt about that,” he said.
Pay Attention To:
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Softcom Limited ( 16 Positions )
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate
- Graduate Interns in a Major Oil Servicing Company
- Current Job Recruitment in Nigeria at Daltrade Nigeria Limited
- United Nations recruitment for a Programme Officer
- Sahara Group Graduate Upstream Trainee Program 2021
- Current Job Recruitment at FrieslandCampina WAMCO Nigeria Plc
- 2021 Ongoing Recruitment at Seven-Up Bottling Company Limited