Nigeria President Buhari Must Meet Nnamdi Kanu, Says Former Leader
Speaking to Newsweek in London, Obasanjo—who served as Nigeria’s first elected head of state from 1999 to 2007—says that the heavy-handed tactics of the Nigerian state against pro-Biafra activists, a secessionist movement that is pushing for an independent state, have not succeeded, and a more conciliatory approach is needed.
According to OBJ, there was nothing wrong with Buhari meeting with Kanu, according to Newsweek.
“I don’t see anything wrong in that [Buhari meeting with Kanu]. I would not object to that; if anything, I would encourage it,”
“I would want to meet Kanu myself and talk to people like him, people of his age, [and ask:] ‘What are your worries?’ Not only from the southeast but from all parts of Nigeria.”
He stated that the Army’s harsh retaliation against pro-Biafra support is “not the solution.”
Latest Jobs in Nigeria Now
- INEC Adhoc Staff Recruitment Portal 2022 for 2023 Election | INEC Recruitment Portal login 2022
- Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) Graduate Programme 2022
- Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2022 Exercise for SSCE, OND, NCE Application Guidelines
- INEC Recruitment for Observers
- Nigeria Police Recruitment Portal 2022 Open for Applications