The BBC is a global multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, on-line and social networks with a weekly world viewers of 320 million. As a part of an historic multi-million pound growth of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is introducing a variety of latest and thrilling language and regional content material to serve African and world audiences.
We are recruiting to fill the place of:
Job Title: News Editor, BBC Yoruba
Job Reference: BBC / TP / 623869 / 52937
Contract Type: Permanent
Job Category: Journalism
Business Unit: News – WSG World Service
- BBC Yoruba is a part of the British Broadcasting Corporation, the world’s largest public broadcaster. In Africa, the BBC reaches a weekly viewers of greater than 90 million people on Radio, TV, Digital, Mobile and Social Media. We presently broadcast to Africa in English, Yoruba, Igbo, Pidgin, Hausa, French, Somali, Swahili, Kinyarwanda/Kirundi, Kiswahili and Arabic.
- BBC Yoruba produces a variety of audio (BBC minute) and digital content material with an emphasis on native, regional and worldwide present affairs. Our protection contains breaking information, sports activities, arts, well being, enterprise and options. We problem decision makers to debate the problems that have an effect on the every day lives of Africans.
- The BBC is in search of a superb senior journalist to be the Editor of the Yoruba Language Service to ship a variety of digital, audio and video content material.
- Responsible for managing a small staff of Journalists, with editorial accountability for a small programme or service.
- Able to prioritise and plan actions considering all of the related points and elements similar to deadlines, staffing, programme budgets and useful resource necessities.
- Ability to put in writing creatively in an attractive method, adapt, produce and translate with accuracy, readability and magnificence applicable to differing audiences and types of media appropriate for multimedia output.
- Maintains private effectiveness within the face of stress, setbacks or when coping with demanding conditions. Demonstrates an method to work that’s characterised by dedication, motivation and keenness.
- High degree of accountability and decision making; in a position to function alone.
- Typically immediately manages a gaggle of Senior Journalists and/or a small variety of Assistant Editors.
- Typically chargeable for staff measurement beneath 40 people.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Develop and preserve excessive skilled requirements of journalism, guaranteeing supply of top quality and impactful information programmes.
- Establish the content material and operating order of the programme and lead others on the manufacturing of things by way of to transmission, together with assigning, briefing and establishing priorities for operational and editorial groups.
- Assist within the improvement, commissioning and administration of related enterprise plans and handle particular person programme budgets, guaranteeing worth for cash in use of assets.
- To act as a facilitator of change, clearly speaking and distributing best practices between groups.
- Foster an surroundings of productive worker relations, responding to and anticipating challenges from employees, unions and audiences.
- Responsible for guaranteeing secure working practices and the observance of BBC’s well being and security rules, together with finishing hazard assessments.
- Continue the event of programmes throughout social media and digital platforms, together with rising audiences on these platforms.
- Responsible for constructing staff spirit inside everlasting or momentary groups; guaranteeing the bestMuse of particular person abilities. Encouraging staff members to consider potential enhancements.
- Sets staff and particular person aims, in addition to clear expectations about required performance ranges, rewards success and addresses performance points promptly and pretty, treats staff members with respect.
- Seek ways to extend variety in our workforce and to make sure that our output displays the audiences we serve.
- You will report back to the Head of West African Languages and in addition work carefully with different senior editorial figures in BBC World Service.
- As the Editor, you’ll present artistic management and imaginative and prescient, to maximise the Yoruba Language Service’s affect and potential in Nigeria, considering the altering media circumstances within the goal space. You will approve content material, guaranteeing that BBC editorial tips are adhered to persistently.
- Fluent in Yoruba and English (written and spoken), you’ll have expertise of delivering output on media platforms. An wonderful data of native, regional and worldwide information and present affairs is crucial. You may have latest expertise of residing within the goal space, together with a superb understanding of the complexities of Nigeria.
- A great appreciation of the media state of affairs in Nigeria and the broader goal space, and the way it’s growing with the power to anticipate modifications out there is crucial. Experience of managing budgets is required.
- You should have current proper to work in Nigeria.
- You will handle groups and assets, taking accountability for guaranteeing that each one output is delivered creatively and on schedule. The profitable candidate may have substantial expertise in a senior journalistic function inside a media surroundings.
Knowledge, abilities, coaching and expertise
- Either knowledgeable journalist or a senior operational skilled with in depth digital and editorial expertise of broadcast information and the power to develop and implement new and progressive approaches to programme construction and content material.
- Proven editorial judgement, in a position to make sound selections promptly .
- An in depth understanding of digital newsgathering and manufacturing. An means to make use of new applied sciences to create alternatives to reinforce output and enhance working practices.
- Ability to work successfully as a member of multiple staff. Resolving conflicts as crucial.
- Can determine an idea together with the plans which should be carried out to satisfy the top purpose. Evaluates conditions, selections, points and so on. within the brief, medium and longer-term.
- Demonstrates a dedication to bettering variety within the BBC and understands how particular person variations can profit the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Fluency and updated data of Yoruba and the power to kind rapidly and precisely.
- Fluency in English together with full comprehension of written and spoken English and the power to speak successfully.
- A demonstrable expertise in working in a multimedia surroundings and interesting audiences.
- An intensive data and understanding of Nigerian, African and worldwide present affairs.
- A great broadcasting voice and the power to amass the suitable presentation type is fascinating.
- A willingness to know and undertake BBC editorial tips and to abide by BBC Values.
- An intensive data of the goals, aims and requirements of BBC World Service and Global News.
- An means to steer, encourage and handle a staff is crucial.
- Ability to develop digital and social media audiences.
- A willingness to study to function new know-how and adapt to completely different working strategies.
- Ability to put in writing creatively in an attractive method, produce and translate with accuracy, readability and magnificence applicable to a younger viewers.
- Continuing contract
- Local phrases and circumstances apply.
- Any supply of employment with the BBC can be conditional upon you having the suitable to work in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and certified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Application Deadline eleventh April, 2021.
- Massive Recruitment at the Enugu State Water Corporation
- Kwara State Civil Service Commission Massive Recruitment 2021
Latest Jobs in Nigeria
Hot Nigerian Jobs 🔥
- NIPCO Gas Limited Recruitment for Graduate
- Access Bank Plc Entry Level Recruitment 2021
- Nigerian Breweries Graduate Management Development Scheme 2021
- 2021 Massive Recruitment at Edo State College of Agriculture for Academic and Non-Teaching Staff
- First Bank Recruitment 2021 for March / April (7 Positions)
- Massive Recruitment at the Federal Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Bank Teller Job Hiring at Tribest Corporate Support Limited
From Ejes Gist Nigeria
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s opinion, they do not reflect the views of the Publisher of www.ejesgist.com Please report any fake news , misinformation or defamatory statements to firstname.lastname@example.org
Guides For Jobs
Federal Government Agencies
(Check Updates & Current Status of Federal Government Job Recruitment Form)
Jobs in Nigeria by State