Ndubisi Kanu , Former Lagos State Governor is dead
REAR Admiral Ndubisi Kanu, 78, former Imo State military chief in 1975 and Lagos governor in 1976, is dead.
He died after a brief illness in a hospital this morning.
Kalu Ireke Kalu of Abia State, who worked closely with him at the Ndigbo office in Lagos, Victoria Island, where the office of the deceased is also located, confirmed his death today, 13 January.
“I can inform you that this morning he passed by. He was seventy-eight. In November 2020, we celebrated his last birthday. I don’t have much details. I’m still in the village,’ said Kalu, who, on January 10, challenged Ohanaeze Ndigbo, secretary-general, in Owerri, Imo State.
In 1975, Kanu was the only Igbo to be appointed to the Supreme Military Council, SMC, before it was dissolved by General Olusegun Obasanjo when he took office as head of state in 1976.
During the civil war, he served on the side of Biafran, but was reabsorbed into the Nigerian military at the end of the war in 1970.
When he retired from service, Kalu, a retired warrior-at-sea, who held several command and political offices as part of his military posts, rapidly civilised himself. He was a member of the pro-democracy group, the National Democratic Coalition, NADECO, which fought for the revalidation of the presidential mandate annulled by the late Moshood Abiola on June 12, 1993.
He was one of those who signed an ultimatum to revalidate the mandate of Abiola and hand over power to the regime of General Sani Abacha, which culminated in one of the most brutal crackdowns by a peace-time regime in Nigeria.
He was the chairman of the NADECO Action Committee, which coordinated and engaged in public awareness events and protest marches.
- FG Approves Recruitment Of 30,000 Graduates For NALDA Programme
- Wema Bank Plc Job Recruitment 2021
- 2021 Management Trainee Recruitment at 3P Solutions & Company
- Graduate Job Recruitment at Haventis Drugs Limited
- First Bank Nigeria 2021 Massive Recruitment
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria ( January )
- Nigeria Police Force, NPF Microfinance Bank Plc Recruitment 2021
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 (28 Positions)
- Franchise Governance Officer at Citibank Nigeria Limited
- Transaction Trainees Needed in a Reputable Bank in Nigeria
From Ejes Gist Nigeria
The views expressed in this article are the writer’s opinion, they do not reflect the views of the Publisher of EJES GIST NIGERIA. Please report any fake news , misinformation or defamatory statements to [email protected]