A Bill for an Act to amend the Public Holidays Act in order to declare June 12 as Democracy Day in Nigeria has passed the second reading at the House of Representatives.
The bill, which was jointly sponsored by Rep. Edward Pwajok (APC-Plateau) and Rep. Kayode Oladele, seeks to bring the Act in tandem with the present realities and exigencies of the modern times.
Leading the debate, Pwajok said that before 1979, there were separate Acts regulating public holidays in the country.
He said the situation led to indiscriminate declaration of public holidays which had negative consequence on the nation.
Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari early this year, declared June 12 as Democracy day to Honor MKO Abiola.
Job Vacancies in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )