The Senate on Tuesday bowed to pressure from civil society organisations, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, and other Nigerians and rejected Lauretta Onochie of Delta as a Commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC. Onochie is President Muhammadu Buhari’s Special Assistant on New Media.
The refusal was based on the Federal Character Principle and a rigorous adherence to the Act, as the Senate stated. She is from Delta, and the state has May Agbamuche, Chairman, INEC Legal Services.
Senate Rejects Lauretta Onochie
The Senate after considering the report of its Committee on the Independent National Electoral Commission, on Tuesday, confirmed the appointment of five National Commissioners for the nation’s electoral umpire.
ALSO READ : Why is Lauretta Onochie that most hated?
The nominees of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd), who were confirmed were, Prof. Muhammad Sani Kallah (Katsina); Prof. Kunle Ajayi ( Ekiti); and Saidu Ahmad (Jigawa), Baba Bila (North East) and Abdullahi Zuru (North- West).
Also, the Senate, following the recommendation of its panel, stepped down the confirmation of Professor Sani Adam from North Central because of the petitions against him.
What you should know.
Nigerian Senate Rejects Lauretta Onochie
Latest Jobs in Nigeria Now
- Nigeria Police Recruitment Portal 2022 Open for Applications
- Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2022 Exercise for SSCE, OND, NCE Application Guidelines
- Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) Graduate Programme 2022
- INEC Adhoc Staff Recruitment Portal 2022 for 2023 Election | INEC Recruitment Portal login 2022
- INEC Recruitment for Observers