“I beat my wife and I am waiting for her police because I talked to a woman”, was how a Lagos-based man, Sulaiman Maiyegun, aka Afobaje, titled the post he published on facebook.
To him, that was the best way to really show who, between him and his wife, Mariam Gabriel, who was the man in the house.
That boast was like adding salt to injury for it followed after he had bitten the woman black and blue..
He however failed to reckon with the weight of his indiscretion, for just yesterday, the long arms of the law came calling for: Maiyegun arraigned before the Igbosere Magistrates’ Court on a two-count charge of assault occasioning harm and offensive publication.
In her ruling, Magistrate Folake Oshin granted the defendant bail in the sum of N500, 000 with two sureties who must be a cleric a a family member to the defendant.
Flash back to May 5, for that was the day Maiyegun made that memorable statement on his facebook wall thus:
“I beat my wife and I am waiting for her police because I talked to a woman.”
Whatever was his motive, or whatever it was that urged him on, he obviously took the wrong decision.
The pictures of the battered woman, with blood oozing from her forehead, accompanying the post was enough to get the emotions of Nigerians to tip over.
And they showed it in the way they reacted on social media.
Maiyegun’s action generates condemnation from many Nigerians on social media.
“You are my friend but it’s obvious you can’t change.”
“How I wish you knew the way she loves you. You wouldn’t have beaten her this way. Sule, come back to your senses.
“What you did was bad and as a friend, I will tell you the truth. Go and apologise to her and delete this rubbish (post) from social media.”
“This is too bad, Sule.”
“Why did you do this, Sule? This is unfair. You shouldn’t have done this to your wife. Delete these pictures from social media and beg her” , were some of the reactions that trailed the post, and if they, in any way, made Maiyegun feel remorse, he did not show it.
At least, not until the Lagos State Domestic and Sexual Violence Response Team, got into the fray.
The agency got the Commander, Area J Police Command, ACP Gbolahan Odugbemi, to arrest Maiyegun.
At his arraignment before the Igbosere Magistrates’ Court on Friday, Maiyegun pleaded not guilty to the two-count charge of assault occasioning harm and offensive publication.
The prosecutor, according to reports by NAN, said the offences contravened Sections 57 and 173 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015, and Maiyegun is not to be referred to a correctional centre, although his counsel Mr Mustapha Danesi, is pleading for his client to be granted bail on the most liberal terms, adding that the matter was as a result of a family crisis.
Oshin in her ruling also directed the court registrar to verify the addresses of Maiyegun’s sureties who must be taxpayers in the state. The case was adjourned until June 22 for mention
HOT JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- 2020 Graduate Trainee Programme at Dufil Prima Foods Plc
- LGA Coordinators at Development Alternatives Incorporated ( Nationwide)
- Federal Government Vacancies at The Federal University of Petroleum
- Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- National Health Insurance Scheme Recruitment 2020 ( Nationwide 16 Positions)
- Academic and Non-academic Positions at Caleb University
- Massive Recruitment at Federal University of Health Sciences Otukpo for Teaching And Non Teaching Staff
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Bank of Industry Recruitment ( Latest Jobs In Nigeria )
- Rivers State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment 2020 (60 Positions)
- Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Food Concepts Plc
- Rivers State Ministry of Education MassiveRecruitment 2020 for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff
- Massive Recruitment at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2020 for Exper Graduates [ 9 Positions, 29 slots ]
- Dangote Cement Plc Recruitment 2020 for Graduates [33 Positions Over 200 Slots ]