See the Full List Of CBN Governors In Nigeria From 1959 Till Date
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) is a financial institution in Nigeria.
The Central Bank of Nigeria was established in 1958 by an Act of Parliament, which was amended in 1991, 1993, 1997, 1998, 1999, and 2007.
The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Act of 2007 of the Federal Republic of Nigeria vested the Bank with comprehensive control and administration of the Federal Government’s monetary and financial sector policies and practises.
What are the Objectives Of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.
Here are the main objectives of the CBN
- To ensure monetary and price stability
- To issue legal tender currency in Nigeria
- To maintain external reserves to safeguard the international value of the legal tender currency
- To promote a sound financial system in Nigeria; and
- To act as Banker and provide economic and financial advice to the Federal Government.
List of Past CBN Governors of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
Below is the full list of CBN Governors till date. From 1959.
- Roy Pentelow Fenton, From: (1958 – 1963).
- Alhaji Aliyu Mai-Bornu, From: (1963 – 1967).
- Dr. Clement Nyong Isong, From: (1972 – 1975).
- Mallam Adamu Ciroma, From: (1975 – 1977).
- Mr. O. Ola. Vincent, From: (1977 – 1982).
- Alahji Abdulkadir Ahmed From: (1982 – 1993).
- Dr. Paul Agbai Ogwuma, From: (1993 – 1999).
- Chief (Dr.) Joseph Oladele Sanusi, CON From: (1999 – 2004).
- Prof. Chukwuma C. Soludo, CFR From: (2004 – 2009).
- Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, CON From: (2009 – 2014).
- Mr. Godwin Emefiele, CON From: (2014 – To Date).
|Governor||Previous position||Term start|
|Roy Pentelow Fenton||24 July 1958 – 24 July 1963|
|Aliyu Mai-Bornu||Deputy Governor, CBN||25 July 1963 –22 June 1967|
|Clement Nyong Isong||Advisor International Monetary Fund||15 August 1967 22 – September 1975|
|Adamu Ciroma||24 September 1975 – 28 June 1977|
|Ola Vincent||Deputy Governor, CBN||28 June 1977 – 28 June 1982|
|Abdulkadir Ahmed||Deputy Governor, CBN||28 June 1982 – 30 September 1993|
|Paul Agbai Ogwuma||CEO, Union Bank of Nigeria||1 October 1993 – 29 May 1999|
|Joseph Oladele Sanusi||CEO First Bank of Nigeria||29 May 1999 – 29 May 2004|
|Charles Chukwuma Soludo||Chief Executive, National Planning Commission||29 May 2004 – 29 May 2009|
|Sanusi Lamido Aminu Sanusi||CEO, First Bank of Nigeria||3 June 2009|
|Sarah Alade||Deputy Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria||20 February 2014|
|Godwin Emefiele||Chief Executive Officer, Zenith Bank||3 June 2014|
Primarily, the Bank is tasked with the administration of the Banks and Other Financial Institutions (BOFI) Act (1991) as amended, with the sole objective of ensuring high standards of banking practise and financial stability through its surveillance activities, as well as the promotion of an efficient payment system.
In addition to its primary tasks, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has over the years carried out some significant developmental functions, with a particular emphasis on all of the key sectors of the Nigerian economy (financial, agricultural, and industrial sectors). The Bank, through its many departments, is responsible for carrying out these requirements in their entirety.
Full List Of CBN Governors In Nigeria From 1959 Till Date