Mr Ahmed Idris, the Accountant General of the Federation, revealed that the £4.2 million looted by former Governor James Ibori and recently recovered by the Federal Government from the United Kingdom had been returned to Delta.
Idris told the House of Representatives’ Ad hoc Committee on Assessment and Status of All Recovered Loots Movable and Immovable Assets from 2002 to 2020 by Agencies of the Federal Government of Nigeria for Effective Efficient Management and Utilization on Tuesday in Abuja.
ALSO READ : Man found alive in Bayelsa forest with hands and legs tied after being attacked by unknown assailants (photos)
According to the Accountant-General, funds plundered from a state’s treasury are always restored to the state.
Adejoro Adeogun is the chairman of the committee.
Some of the recoveries, according to the Accountant General, are for specific state governments.
“I know there was a time when Plateau State was able to recover,” he remarked. One was set aside for Bayelsa. There was one for each state, including Delta. These kinds of recoveries go to those states specifically.”
Adeogun notably mentioned the Ibori riches that had recently arrived from the United Kingdom.
“Let’s have a look at an example. Something is gaining traction. Ibori plunder is being recovered. When is it going to be paid to the government?” Adeogun had a question.
“It has been paid to the state,” Idris said. The money was given to Delta State.”
Adeogun pointed out that this contradicted publicly available information that it was only used for selected projects.
“Any recovery emanating from plundered funds from a particular state goes to the state,” Idris said. The governors of the several states would not allow this to happen. They intend to sue the federal government for keeping their money. So we don’t make jokes about it or play with it. We reimburse them for their funds.”
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Current Job Openings at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- United Nigeria Airlines Recruitment for Baggage Handler (Entry-level)
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for Graduate Internship
- LifeBank Recruitment 2021 (Apply here for free)
- Kaduna State Residents Registration Agency (KADSRRA) Massive Recruitment
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Entry Level Tellers
- Massive Recruitment at Dangote Refinery for Graduates
- Ebonyi State Ministry of Trade and Investment Job Recruitment Portal – Apply Here
- US Embassy Recruitment In Nigeria ( Apply Here for free )
- Nigerian Breweries Plc Recruitment for Senior Regulatory Affairs Manager