The immediate past Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, Prof Attahiru Jega, says Nigeria needs competent and assertive leaders and not necessarily strong leaders.
According to Jega, an incompetent leader who is strong will end up destroying institutions. The former INEC boss said this at the 58th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association in Abuja on Monday.
He said, “What we require most are the competence and capacity of leaders to take decisions and be assertive in ensuring that those decisions are actually implemented. So, we have to be very careful in thinking that a strong leader can really help.
Just like a weak leader can wreck an institution, a strong leader, who has just that power and courage, but lacks the capacity, ability and competence to lead, can also wreck strong institutions. Competence of leadership is a very important variable in bringing about the stable political transition, good governance and deepening of democracy.”
The former INEC boss, who superintended the 2011 and 2015 general elections, said politicians must stop treating elections as a do-or-die affair. He recalled that a former President once said elections must be do-or-die, an incident he described as most unfortunate.
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance