The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has insisted that the Social Democratic Party (SDP) governorship candidate’s nomination for the Kogi election was invalid.
INEC’s National Commissioner and chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee (IVEC) Barr. Festus Okoye, who spoke yesterday in Lokoja, said 23 political parties will be on the ballot for the Kogi election.
He said the nominations by the SDP for both Kogi and Bayelsa governorship elections were not valid on the ground of fielding underage candidates.
According to him, the SDP fielded a-34-year old Bashir Mohammed as the deputy governorship candidate for Kogi, saying the law stipulates 35 years as minimum age for the office of governor.
He clarified that apart from SDP, there were other political parties whose nominations were invalidated on grounds of fielding underage candidates.
Okoye, however, said that as a law-abiding body, the commission would not hesitate to list the SDP and its candidate, Natasha Akpoti, on the ballot for the Kogi election if the court ruled so.
He urged journalists and media organisations to be accurate, objective and balanced in their reportage before, during and after the elections.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies