The EYN (Ekklesiyar Yan’uwa of Nigeria), also known as the Church of the Brethren in Nigeria, has buried one of its members, Ezekiel Bitrus, who was shot dead during the demolition of the church building by the Borno State Government, according to a report by SaharaReporters.
Last Thursday, Bitrus was shot in the chest by task force members accompanying Borno State Geographical Information System (BOGIS) officials to demolish the EYN church building in Maiduguri.
According to SaharaReporters, security personnel began shooting into the air without provocation, resulting in chaos.
The incident sparked widespread outrage among Christians. To defuse tensions, state officials said they were in contact with the church’s leadership.
The majority of mourners did not shed tears during Bitrus’ funeral procession, which was attended by a large crowd.
They can be seen singing victory choruses as the casket is carried to the gravesite in a video of the burial that has gone viral.
One of the Hausa songs goes like this: “I will go to any length with Jesus, no matter how rough the road is.” I have to get out of here, I have to get out of here!”
On Sunday, EYN members and other Christians gathered in solidarity to hold a service and pray on the ruins of the demolished church.
Meanwhile, Babagana Zulum, the state governor, has ordered the police to investigate the shooting.
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Current Job Openings at First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- Massive Recruitment at Dangote Refinery for Graduates
- Ebonyi State Ministry of Trade and Investment Job Recruitment Portal – Apply Here
- Kaduna State Residents Registration Agency (KADSRRA) Massive Recruitment
- United Nigeria Airlines Recruitment for Baggage Handler (Entry-level)
- Citibank Nigeria Limited Recruitment for Entry Level Tellers
- LifeBank Recruitment 2021 (Apply here for free)
- US Embassy Recruitment In Nigeria ( Apply Here for free )
- Nigerian Breweries Plc Recruitment for Senior Regulatory Affairs Manager
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for Graduate Internship