President Muhammadu Buhari has commended Ebonyi State Governor, Dave Umahi describing his defection to the All Progressives Congress (APC) as a bold decision.
The President disclosed this in a Tweet on his official handle @MBuhari. He noted that governor Umahi’s decision was in accordance with his conscience.
“I am proud of Governor David Umahi for taking the bold decision to defect to
@OfficialAPCNg in accordance with his conscience and principles rather than any external influence or coercion.
“I commend his boldness for taking this courageous decision in a country where principles are in short supply among many. I know people might call him names, but that is the price men of principle have to pay for acting according to their conscience and convictions,” President Buhari tweeted.
I am proud of Governor David Umahi for taking the bold decision to defect to @OfficialAPCNg in accordance with his conscience and principles rather than any external influence or coercion.
— Muhammadu Buhari (@MBuhari) November 19, 2020
President Buhari had earlier in a statement on Wednesday lauded Umahi’s decision to join the APC. He added that “good governance is very important to us in the APC, and I’m glad that the governor has cited this as a major factor in his decision to join us. I urge our citizens to pay less emphasis on identity politics if we want our democracy to make a positive impact on our country.”
Dignitaries at the event include former Senate President Ken Nnamani; Chairman, APC National Caretaker Committee who is also the governor of Yobe State, Mai Mala Buni; Jigawa State Governor, Muhammadu Badaru Abubakar; Kebbi State Governor Abubakar Bagudu and Niger State Governor, Abubakar Bello, among others.
Governor Umahi in his speech at the official defection announced that “henceforth, Ebonyi is 100% APC. We are all moving to APC.”
He, however, called for unity between both APC and PDP, noting that, “Together, we are stronger.”
The Deputy governor Eric Igwe at the event announced that he will be joining his principal in the APC.
“Where you go I will go, where you stand, I will stand,” Igwe said.
Other dignitaries present at the official defection include the Minister of Justice/Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami; Senior Special Assistant to the President on Domestic Affairs, Mohammed Sarki Abba, and the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq.
Umahi had earlier on Tuesday, November 27 dumped PDP for APC after weeks of speculation that he had taken the decision to dump the opposition party for the ruling party.
He also faulted the claims that he left the PDP to achieve his ambition of becoming the president in 2023.
While giving reasons for his defection, he said is the South East region has suffered what he describes as injustice in the PDP.
The governor disclosed that the decision to leave the PDP for the APC was to protest against what he described as the injustice of the opposition party to the South East.
HOT JOBS RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- 2020 Graduate Trainee Programme at Dufil Prima Foods Plc
- LGA Coordinators at Development Alternatives Incorporated ( Nationwide)
- Federal Government Vacancies at The Federal University of Petroleum
- Resources, Effurun (FUPRE)
- National Health Insurance Scheme Recruitment 2020 ( Nationwide 16 Positions)
- Academic and Non-academic Positions at Caleb University
- Massive Recruitment at Federal University of Health Sciences Otukpo for Teaching And Non Teaching Staff
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Graduate Trainee Program 2021
- Bank of Industry Recruitment ( Latest Jobs In Nigeria )
- Rivers State Civil Service Commission Massive Job Recruitment 2020 (60 Positions)
- Graduate Management Trainee Recruitment 2020 at Food Concepts Plc
- Rivers State Ministry of Education MassiveRecruitment 2020 for Teaching and Non-Teaching Staff
- Massive Recruitment at Obafemi Awolowo University Teaching Hospitals
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2020 for Exper Graduates [ 9 Positions, 29 slots ]
- Dangote Cement Plc Recruitment 2020 for Graduates [33 Positions Over 200 Slots ]