This Reporter has shared how to block your bank account and SIM card in the event of an emergency.
Ejes Gist Nigeria recognises how difficult it is to lose or get your phone and wallet stolen. However, if this happens to you, there is no need to panic; the first thing you must do is ensure your safety. In the event of an emergency, here’s how to block your SIM card and bank account.
Why Do You Need To Do It?
When your phone or wallet with bank cards is stolen or lost, you may believe that the phone or cards are the most significant loss. However, there is a greater danger: the thief or the individual who discovers your missing things may gain access to your finances and even your identity by using your phone or cards.
ALSO READ : GTBank USSD CODE For Money Transfer
Your bank data is most likely linked to your mobile phone number, as it is for many Nigerians. Criminals can access your online banking account and move money from your account to theirs if you have your phone with you. That isn’t even the most dangerous scenario that can occur. After a victim’s cell phone or bank cards fell into the wrong hands, their entire identity was copied or stolen in some cases. That is why, in the event of an emergency, the first thing you can do is block your SIM card and bank accounts.
How To Block Your SIM Card
When your phone is lost or stolen, there are three main ways to block a SIM card remotely:
a. Using the IMEI number
The IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) is a specific identification number that is written on the inside of your mobile phone. The IMEI can also be found in the phone’s settings or in the box in which your mobile was sent. If you purchased your phone used and it didn’t come with a package, it’s a good idea to jot down the IMEI number somewhere.
If your phone has been stolen and you have your IMEI number, go to the police station to report it. Then go to your service provider with the report and your ID. They’ll use the IMEI and the SIM card that was in the phone at the time of the theft to block it.
b. Without an IMEI number
Don’t worry if you forgot to save your phone’s IMEI number; you can still block it whenever you want. You may opt to only block your SIM card, in which case you must contact your service provider. Alternatively, you can ask your service provider to block the system even if you don’t have the IMEI number – they’ll ask for your ID and a few questions to see if you’re the device’s original owner.
3. Access to Your Account
If you have an Apple or Android phone, you can monitor its location as well as remotely block it so that no one else can access it. Simply open the Find My Phone or Find My Device app for iOS or Android, enter your login details, and follow the on-screen instructions.
2. Blocking Your Bank Account
If you have your phone but your bank cards have been stolen or you are concerned that your financial data has been compromised in some way, you can block your bank account by dialling a specific number on your phone.
To block your operation, some banks require you to call a phone number, while others allow you to use a USSD code. Although you can block the account from your phone, if you want to unlock it, you’ll have to go to the bank in person.
The USSD code or phone number for each bank is unique. You may obtain the required code by calling your phone’s customer support line or visiting their website’s contacts section. If you want to block your bank account, you can use the following numbers
- For Zenith Bank – #966*911#
- For GTBank – *737*51*10#
- For First Bank – text “BLOCK” to 30012
- For Union Bank – text “BLOCK CARD NUBAN” to 20123
- For FCMB Bank – call + 2342798800
- Block Access Bank ATM Card Using USSD
- For Access Bank Dial *901*11# from any phone number, you will be required to provide the phone number you used in registering the Account and your USSD (901) PIN. Hope with this you were able to learn How to Block Access Bank USSD (Stolen or Missing Phone)
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health