Orji Uzor Kalu leaving jail
The Nigeria Correctional Service says Orji Uzor Kalu, chief whip of the senate, was well behaved and followed all the rules during his stay at Kuje prison in Abuja.
Speaking with TheCable on Thursday, Austin Njoku, spokesman of the service, said they did not have any issues with him.
“Do you expect a man of such calibre to give trouble? A senator? Is he fighting for food? He followed the rules and regulations of the custodial centre,” Njoku said.
“We never had any issues with him at all during his six-month stay at the centre.”
Kalu was sentenced to 12 years imprisonment in December after he was convicted for diverting N7.1 billion from the coffers of Abia state during his time as governor.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had preferred a 36-count charge against him and Ude Jones Udeogu, a former director of finance and account in Abia.
His co-convict had filed an appeal and on May 8, the supreme court nullified his trial on the grounds that Mohammed Idris, the trial judge, had no jurisdiction to hear the matter after he was elevated to the court of appeal.
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria