Locals along the Afuze-Uokha Road in Edo State’s Owan West Local Government burned five suspected kidnappers to death over the weekend.
The gunmen are claimed to have ambushed and kidnapped some tourists before leading them into the jungle.
The kidnappers, on the other hand, were apprehended by vigilantes who brought them out of the woods.
When the locals saw the culprits, they snatched them away from the vigilantes and burned them alive.
According to a person familiar with the situation, the kidnappers carried the travellers into the jungle without realising that vigilantes who had heard about the incident had mobilised to arrest them.
“The kidnappers would have contacted the abducted travellers’ relatives to demand a ransom if it hadn’t been for the vigilantes’ bravery, while residents fired up with the kidnappers’ illegal acts lit them on fire and left them to die,” the source claimed.
Kontongs Bello, a spokesman for the state police command, acknowledged the occurrence and added that an inquiry was underway.
“Following the kidnapping, the vigilantes started on the hunt for the perpetrators, who they found hiding in the jungle. Angry youths in Uokha and neighbouring towns kidnapped suspected kidnappers from vigilantes as they were leaving Uokha Community on their way to the police station.
“All attempts to bring the suspects to the police were futile because they were burned to death. “We’re still looking into it,” he replied.
Hot Nigerian Jobs | Share To Job Seekers [ Apply Now ]
- Nigerian Air Force DSSC Recruitment 2021 Portal Is Now Open
- Delta State Hospital Management Board Recruitment 2021 for SSCE & Graduates
- Vitafoam Nigeria Plc Job Recruitment for Graduates
- Dunn and Braxton Limited Massive Recruitment for Bancassurance Executives
- Massive Recruitment at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- 2021 Graduate Trainees Recruitment in a Manufacturing Company ( 3 positions )