By Nsikak Nseyen
The Taraba State Police command has confirmed the death of a student, Miss Mercy Victor, who was gang raped by hoodlums on Sunday.
The command’s Public Relations Officer, ASP David Missal, told newsmen in Jalingo that mercy was a final year student of the College of Nursing and Midwifery, Jalingo.
He said, “Yes the matter was reported to the headquarters on Tuesday morning and was referred to the GRA Police Station in Jalingo for investigation,” he said.
Also the President of the National Union of Taraba Students, Mr Hope Vyonku, who spoke to newsmen said Mercy ran into the evil gang on her way to school on Sunday night while returning from weekend.
He said, “I was told that she was returning to the school from town on a tricycle she boarded when the incident happened close to the bridge after the State Specialist Hospital, Jalingo.
“A passerby later discovered her by the road side and rushed her to the State Specialist Hospital where she died this morning,” he said.
While condemning the rape and murder, Vyonku called on the security agents to put in place adequate security measures to ensure the safety of students in the state.
“We have declared one week of mourning in honour of Mercy and all victims of hoodlum-related crimes in the state,
Latest Jobs in Nigeria Now
- INEC Adhoc Staff Recruitment Portal 2022 for 2023 Election | INEC Recruitment Portal login 2022
- Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2022 Exercise for SSCE, OND, NCE Application Guidelines
- Nigeria Police Recruitment Portal 2022 Open for Applications
- Nigeria Sovereign Investment Authority (NSIA) Graduate Programme 2022
- INEC Recruitment for Observers