Last week, Hafsat allegedly turned down an invitation from the anti-graft agency, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, to appear in court for questioning in connection with a bribery and land fraud case reported by her son, Abdualzeez.
Read Also : Court Fixes Date To Arraign 400 BDC Operators Accused of Sponsoring Boko Haram Terrorists
Mrs Ganduje was summoned to the EFCC’s Abuja headquarters last Thursday, according to Premium Times.
According to sources familiar with the matter, Abdulazeez had taken his mother, Hafsat Ganduje, to the EFCC, indicating a pattern of corruptly exploiting family power for personal gain.
The governor, Ganduje, had previously been involved in a corruption scandal.
Since 2018, when the Daily Nigerian published a series of videos showing the governor collecting money from a government contractor, he has struggled to untangle himself from the public perception that he is a corrupt public servant.
Abdulazeez told the anti-graft agency that he was approached by a property developer who asked him to help facilitate the purchase of some land plots in Kano for hundreds of thousands of dollars and at least N35 million in “facilitation commission.”
It was also discovered that Abdulazeez claimed to have paid the money to his mother, Mrs Ganduje, in dollars.
“However, three months later, (the property developer) discovered that the plots of land for which he had paid the first family had been allocated to other buyers, and he requested a refund,” a source said.
When asked for comment, Mohammed Garba, a spokesman for the Kano State Government, said, “I am not aware” and thus could not comment.
Wilson Uwujaren, the EFCC’s spokesperson, did not respond to a request for comment .
Hot Jobs In Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- Massive Job Recruitment at GPC Energy and Logistics Limited
- Massive Job Recruitment in a Leading Group of Companies
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)