Ejesgist Media got to know there was outrage across the country late last night following the spike in the number of killings, especially in Benue State where for the second day running, armed men attacked villages, killing 13 people.

Two attacks in Ukor Mbalon Gwer Local Government Area on Tuesday killed 19 people, including two priests.

The first attack occurred at dawn during a Catholic mass, and the second occurred during a burial.
According to Police Commissioner Fatai Owoseni, who spoke to our correspondent on the phone last night, the attack took place yesterday at Tse Umenger in Mbadwem Council Ward and Mbakpaase in Saghev in Guma Local Government Area, and 13 people were killed.

Also yesterday, seven people were killed in Ihuman village in Nasarawa State’s Awe Local Government Area. In the last two months, there have been numerous killings in the area.

According to Owoseni, the attacks “have gone beyond herder/farmer clashes or communal clashes.”
“It’s a murderous insurgency.” “These people are engaged in unconventional warfare and outright murder,” he said.

According to the police chief, some of the villagers revealed that the attackers arrived around 5 a.m.

A cross-section of the villagers confirmed the attack and stated that people had been killed.
Shaapera Nyon, one of them, said the attackers arrived around 5 a.m., while most people were still sleeping.

He claimed that gunshots and cries of agony from gunshot victims woke the residents up.
The invaders also razed houses, it was discovered.
Mrs Bridget Ugbuusu, a survivor, said the attackers were armed with sophisticated weapons. They opened fire on every door while it was raining, killing many people who tried to flee.

“They shot me in the left leg and I fell down; they thought I was dead, but later on I tried to flee, and they met me again and macheted me on my right hand,” Mrs.Ugbuusu explained.
She stated that one of her four children was killed and that three others are missing.

Mrs. Ugbuusu, who is being treated at the Benue State University Teaching Hospital in Makurdi, slumped when she learned that one of her children had been killed.
Among those who spoke out against the killings were the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN), Southern and Middle Belt Leaders, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Arewa Consultative Forum (ACF), and former Semate President David Mark.

CAN has called on Christians to protest the killings peacefully in churches on Sunday.
According to CAN President Olasupo Ayokunle’s spokesman Adebayo Oladeji, Sunday has been declared “a National Day of Protest against the country’s unending killings.”

The day will be dedicated to “praying for the freedom and liberty of Leah Sharibu, the remaining Chibok girls, and others still held captive by Boko Haram terrorists.” “We’ve already reached a tipping point, and a state of anomie is on the way,” he said.

The Christian organisation stated that the protest should be peaceful and held within the grounds of churches. It urged “the Federal Government and security agencies to put an end to the country’s unending killings and bloodshed.”

“Christians are to carry placards with inscriptions addressing ongoing killings, attacks, and property destruction.”

“The placards could read, “Enough of bloodshed in Nigeria,” “Enough of unlawful killings in the country,” “FG, Release Leah Sharibu from bondage,” “FG, Stop Herdsmen Killings,” “CAN rejects FG’s poor handling of insecurity,” and so on.

“The government should be called upon to fulfil their constitutional duty of protecting citizens right now.” There should be no more excuses for such heinous behaviour, and those responsible must be brought to justice immediately.”

CAN urged President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration to “launch various effective plans aimed at disarming herdsmen across the northern states and in communities where they have been wreaking havoc across the country in the national interest.”

You may also like 

.
Previous articleChibok: Many Feared Dead as Suspected Boko Haram Members Attack Borno
Next articleDays After Missing INEC’s Approved Day, APC Announces New Date for 2023 Election Campaign Flag Off

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.