The Ekiti State government has declared that the full weight of the law will be visited on any herdsman caught with dangerous weapons.
It also promised to empower security agencies in the state to ensure arrest and prosecution of herdsmen destroying farmlands and attacking farmers and other residents.
The Deputy Governor, Otunba Bisi Egbeyemi, disclosed this on Thursday at a peace meeting held with representatives of herders and farmers at the Government House in Ado-Ekiti in the wake of the recent alleged attacks on farmers in some communities by suspected herdsmen.
A statement signed by the Special Assistant (Media) to the Deputy Governor, Odunayo Ogunmola, revealed that the meeting was attended by representatives of Fulani, Hausa, Ebira, Urhobo, Yoruba communities, Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders and Ekiti Grazing and Enforcement Marshals (EGEM).
Egbeyemi warned that it was unacceptable to the state government for herdsmen to be carrying AK-47 rifles and other dangerous weapons, stressing that security agencies have been mobilized to arrest any one of them caught with weapons.
Job Vacancies in Nigeria
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)