The National Assembly(NASS) has given the Executive arm of government conditions that must be met to avert the invocation of the Constitutional Powers of the Parliament.
This was the outcome of an emergency executive joint session of both chambers of the National Legislature on Tuesday.
The lawmakers who met for over three hours in closed door, gave the executive certain conditions including, addressing the current security situation in the country.
They frowned at the constant harassment of legislators and other political actors, especially those who seem to hold a contrary view from the executive or those who are critical of the executive arm.
The legislative arm called on the executive to show sincerity in the fight against corruption, adhere to the rule of law and refrain from the “intimidation of Nigerians”.
They insisted that they may be forced to invoke their constitutional powers if the conditions were not met.
Below is the detail of the conditions from the Joint Session of the National Assembly:
1.The Security Agencies must be given marching orders to contain all the sustained killings of Nigerians and protect the lives and properties of Nigerians — as this is the primary duty for any responsible government.
2.The systemic harassment by the executive of perceived political opponents — people with contrary opinions in the legislature and the judiciary — by the police and other security agencies must stop.
3.There must be strict adherence to the rule of law and protection for all citizens by the President and all his appointees.
4.The President must be held accountable for the actions of his appointees and must be ready to sanction, those that carry out any act, that will ridicule or endanger the country and our democracy.
5.The government should show sincerity in the fight against corruption by not being selective and also prosecute current appointees that have cases pending against them.
6.The sanctity of the National Assembly should be protected and preserved by the federal government… and prosecute those who invaded the Senate to seize the mace.
7.Democratic elections must be competitive and inclusive by removing the current reign of fear and intimidation — particularly as we approach the forthcoming 2019 elections.
8.The National Assembly will liaise with the international community through the IPU, the APU, ECOWAS Parliament, Pan-African Parliament, EU, US Congress and the United Nations to secure our democracy. The National Assembly will also engage with civil society organisations, trade unions and NGOs to further deepen and protect our democracy.
The President must take immediate steps to curtail the growing level of poverty and unemployment in Nigeria — especially now that we have an advantage of high oil prices.
Both chambers of the National Assembly hereby pass a vote of confidence on the Senate President, the Speaker and the entire leadership of the National Assembly.
We also hereby reaffirm our earlier resolution on the vote of no confidence on the Inspector General of Police, who does nothing but preside over innocent Nigerians with an outright disregard for constitutional authority of both the executive and the legislature.
The National Assembly will not hesitate to invoke its constitutional powers if nothing is done to address the above resolutions passed today.
Credit : NAN
QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS IN YOUR FIELD
- Soyin Caution Buhari government over use of security agencies to silence Nigerians
- Fraud : FG Parastatal paid rent on own land for 50 years
- Good news : Nigeria, Germany to partner on mechanised farming
- Boko Haram burns down 73 houses in Borno
- 15years, fakes her kidnap in Enugu to be with her boyfriend in Owerri
DON’T GIVE UP HUNTING FOR JOB
HOT JOBS, RECOMMEND FOR YOU
- Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) Latest Recruitment 2019
- Mass Recruitment at The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), 21st August 2019
- A Reputable Construction Company in Northern Nigeria : Ongoing recruitment ( 5 states )
- NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE CORPS 2019 Massive Recruitment
- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Recruitment 2019
- Dangote Cement Plc, Recruitment 8th August 2019
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2019: Latest Vacancies ( 4 Slots )
- IROKO TV Partners Limited massive recruitment for Outbound Telesales Agents (500 slots )
- Edo State Government 2019 Apprenticeship Programme
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) recruitment for Observers in Kogi and Bayelsa States, August 2019
- Kaduna State Government 2019 Massive Recruitment for Entry-level & Exp
- Entry Level Bank Tellers recruitment in a Reputable Bank in Lagos, August 2019
- Entry Level Recruitment at UBA Bank, 1st August, 2019
- Ongoing Recruitment For Customer Service Representatives In A Renowned Commercial Bank ( Nationwide )
- Massive Recruitment at Titan Trust Bank Limited, (18 Positions )
- Julius Berger Nigeria Plc : Latest Recruitment
- First Bank of Nigeria 2019 Recruitment for 19th, July 2019 [ 8 Position ]
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOBS
JOBS BY CATEGORIES
- Abia State 11
- ABUJA FCT 38
- Adamawa State 18
- Akwa Ibom State 14
- Anambra State 12
- Apprenticeship training 3
- Banking Industry 29
- Bauchi State 9
- Bayelsa State 11
- Benue State 10
- Borno State 18
- Career Tips 7
- Construction Company 9
- Contract Job 6
- Cross River State 13
- Delta State 12
- Ebonyi State 12
- Edo State 16
- Ekiti State 11
- Engineering Jobs 15
- Entry-level Jobs 229
- Enugu State 9
- Featured 14
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECRUITMENT IN NIGERIA 2
- Full time jobs 1071
- Gombe State 11
- Google AdSense know how 6
- Hotel Management/hospitality company 4
- HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE 1
- Imo State 9
- Internship Jobs 36
- Jigawa State 8
- JOB FOR SSCE 64
- Jobs and Recruitment 1566
- Jobs for LEGAL/Law 6
- Jobs in Education 10
- JOBS IN NORTHERN NIGERIA 127
- JOBS IN SOUTH EAST 94
- JOBS IN SOUTH SOUTH 137
- JOBS IN SOUTH WEST 294
- Jos 7
- Kaduna State 15
- Kano State 11
- Katsina State 9
- Kebbi State 10
- Kogi State 11
- Kwara State 13
- Lagos State 168
- Management and Logistics Company 7
- Manager jobs 7
- Manufacturing Industry 8
- Marketing Jobs 2
- Medical /Health 13
- MSC/MS / PHD 52
- Nasarawa State 8
- NCE/OND/HND/BSC 1166
- NGO / Community Services 2
- Nigeria Election 2
- Ogun State 17
- Oil and Gas Company 27
- Ondo State 12
- Osun State 10
- Oyo State 15
- Part Time Jobs 8
- PASS QUESTIONS 1
- Plateau 7
- Rivers State 29
- SCHOLARSHIP Jobs 6
- Sokoto State 9
- Taraba State 10
- Yobe State 9
- Zamfara State 9