Fulani Terrorists? No Evidence Has Linked Owo Church Attack To ISWAP – Fayemi

0
BREAKING: Fayemi steps down for Tinubu

Are they not

The claims linking the Islamic State’s West Africa Province (ISWAP) to the church attack in Owo have been dismissed by as mere speculation.

He emphasized that no proof had been found that the group was responsible for the attack, which claimed many lives and injured many more.

Read Also : 3 Slump At Democracy Day Parade

“I’m not going to speculate,” the governor said during an interview on Channels Television’s Sunrise Daily on Monday in response to a question about the Federal Government’s position.

First Bank Graduate Trainee Massive Recruitment 2022: See How To Apply Now

“As far as I’m concerned, the claim that ISWAP, Boko Haram, or other institutions are behind this (attack) is purely speculative at this point.” I haven’t seen any evidence that solidifies this in the minds of any of the rogue elements we have.

Also Read : Dollar to Naira Black Market Rate Today Tuesday, June 14, 2022

“At this point, it really doesn’t matter.” They committed this crime and demonstrated their ability to inflict maximum harm on our people.”

When gunmen opened fire on worshippers at St Francis Catholic Church in Owo, the capital of Ondo State’s Owo Local Government Area, at least 40 people were killed and many more were injured.

The attack drew widespread condemnation, with many individuals and organizations urging the government to ensure that the perpetrators were apprehended and brought to justice.

Pay Attention To : “Revealing” Ebonyi Will Vote for Tinubu And Not Peter Obi – Umahi

The Federal Government has linked the killings to the Islamic State’s West Africa Province, sparking a debate over who was to blame (ISWAP).

The position of the Federal Government, according to Fayemi, who is also the chairman of the Nigeria Governors’ Forum (NGF), is speculation.

Governors, as the chief security officers of their states, have access to a wide range of intelligence, but not all of it is actionable, he claims.

He explained that it is their responsibility to relay such information to the appropriate institutions, who are then expected to take appropriate action.

You May Like : 

“I don’t want us to jump the gun as far as this is concerned,” Fayemi said. “That is why I am not going into any detail as to what intelligence we had and when we had it.”

Advertisements

“As security officers, it is our responsibility to ensure that this does not happen again, and we will pursue elements of this nature, regardless of the organization they represent within our domains.”

Meanwhile, the Catholic Diocese of Ondo has set Friday, June 17, 2022 as the date for the mass burial of those killed in last week’s attack on the St. Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

This was confirmed by the Diocese of Ondo’s director of social communication, Rev. Fr. Augustine Ikwu, while speaking to reporters in Akure, the state capital. The mass burial, according to Ikwu, will take place at a new cemetery on Emure Road in Owo. On Friday in Owo, a mass burial will be held at the church’s new cemetery,” he said.

According to the church, no fewer than 40 people died in the attack, while many others were injured to varying degrees.

The injured victims were said to be receiving treatment at Owo’s Federal Medical Centre and St. Louis Catholic Church, as well as other private hospitals in the state.

No arrests have been made in connection with the attack, according to the police, but detectives from the command are on the lookout for the suspected terrorists. In another development, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has ordered that flags be flown at half-mast in Lagos.

The action came after a three-day period of mourning was declared in the aftermath of the attack on the St Francis Catholic Church in Owo, Ondo State.

The decision to mourn the victims was made during a virtual meeting of the Southwest Governors on June 10 to review the region’s security situation.

Read Also : INEC registration portal login: INEC Registration Form and How Register Online

Governors Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo, Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti, Gboyega Oyetola of Osun, Dapo Abiodun of Ogun, Seyi Makinde of Oyo, and Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos signed a communique issued after the meeting.

“The governors condemned the heinous crime committed by terrorists against the people and residents of Owo, Ondo State, and, by extension, the peace-loving people of the South-West, in the strongest terms possible.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.