Four members of a family who were on their way to attend a funeral lost their lives in a fatal accident involving the bus they were commuting in and a tipper loaded with sand along the Ogidi-Abatete road in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State on Friday, June 11.
According to eyewitnesses, the tipper suffered a burst tyre and the driver lost control of the wheel, causing him to crash into the bus that was conveying the deceased and 15 others.
Confirming the accident, the Sector Public Education Officer, Federal Road Safety Corps, Pascal Anigbo, said the remains of the deceased persons have been deposited in the morgue while the injured were receiving treatment.
“At about 5.20pm on Friday 12 June, 2020 we received a distress call on a fatal Road Traffic Crash (RTC) which occurred at about 5.15pm near Buckie Polytechnic, along Ogidi-Abatete road. FRSC rescue team from Nteje Unit Command were immediately dispatched to the scene of the crash.
The crash involved a Mercedes Benz 608 with registration number AA205DMA driven by one Ezeugwu Christopher and a Mercedes Benz Tipper with enlistment number XD651GDD, drivers name given as FC Ugwumba.
Casualties involved included, Seventeen (17) adult males, One (1) female adult and One (1) female child. Totalling Nineteen (19).They were all rushed to Twinkle Hospital, Ogidi by members of the community.
Six (6) male adult victims in critical condition were referred to Iyi-Enu Specialist Hospital, Ogidi. Information reaching us after a Hospital Follow-Up today Saturday 13 June, 2020 states that Four (4) have been confirmed dead by doctors at Iyi-Enu Specialist Hospital and their corpses deposited at the hospital morgue.
The Sector Commander FRSC, Andrew Kumapayi condole with the family of the deceased and wishes the injured victims quick recovery, warning vehicle owners and drivers against the use of expired or worn-out tyres, particularly during rainy season. He equally advises that only brand new tyres should be used in vehicles as most fairly used tyres, popularly called tokumbo tyres are expired” he said
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers