By Owen Akenzua Owen
The affected communities, investigation revealed, are within Koko, Warri North, Araya, Isoko South Local Government Area, Agbarhor Ughelli North, and part of Jesse and Oghara communities.
In the past three weeks in Delta State, torrential rainfalls have constituted flood menace in many communities in the state, and had sacked its residents, destroying their houses in the process. Investigation revealed that the affected communities also had crops in their farm lands destroyed with deep cuts in various areas.
Mr. Justus Okwogba Araya, community President who spoke to DAILY POST, said: “we need the state government’s intervention. We have nowhere to go, our crops destroyed, houses destroyed including our roads”.
But the state government, through the Commissioner for Environment, Mr. John Nani remarked that the dredging of Nana creek would not only address the flood menace, but also improve water transportation in the area as well as enhance the economic well being of the people.
He said, “the state government is committed to adopting proactive measures to tackle the menace some of the communities are currently faced with the challenges are sad, but will open up the blocked drainage in the affected areas, it is unfortunate that houses were destroyed, and residents of the affected areas sacked, we will relocate them to befitting areas, and step up proactive measures.”
The commissioner expressed optimism that issues associated with flooding in the area would be over after the dredging exercise.
Top five most controversial Nigerian senators in 2018 most controversial nigerian senators
Job Vacancies in Nigeria
- Massive Recruitment in an Indigenous Non-profit and Non-governmental Organization
- Current Job Vacancies at Wateraid Nigeria
- Ends Soon : Greenwich Merchant Bank (GMB) Graduate Trainee Program (GGTP4.0) 2021
- Nationwide Massive Recruitment for Relationship Officers at United Bank for Africa Plc (UBA)
- Massive recruitment at Achievers University for Academic and Non-Academic Staff ( 106 Slots )
- National Agency for the Control of AIDS NACA Recruitment 2021 for Finance Officer
- UNICEF Recruitment 2021 for Graduates in Nigeria (September)