FG Orders All Nigerians with Bank Accounts to fill
The Federal Government led by President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered all persons holding accounts across financial institutions and insurance firms to complete and submit Self-certification forms.
This was made known by the Federal Government via it’s official Twitter handle. The FG warned that failure to comply may include a monetary penalty or inability to operate the account.
It stated, “This is to notify the general public that all account holders in Financial Institutions (Banks, Insurance Companies, etc) are required to obtain, complete and submit Self – Certification Forms to their respective Financial Institutions. Persons holding accounts in different financial institutions are required to complete & submit the form to each one of the institutions. The forms are required by the relevant financial institutions to carry out due diligence procedures in line with the Income Tax Regulations 2019.”
According to the government, the certification forms would be in 3 categories, which are “Form for Entity – For Controlling Person (Individuals having controlling interest in a legal person, trustee, etc) – Form for individual”.
Comply or face sanctions: The Government urged Nigerians to comply with the requirements and execute all forms needs, if not sanctions may be introduced in the forms of monetary penalty or inability to operate the account.
- The government did not explain what those sanctions will be and how it will be implemented.
- The inability to operate the account suggests the government could end up freezing the bank account of Nigerians
- Nigerians have over N30 trillion in bank deposits according to Nairalytics research
ALSO READ : How RCCG Pastor, Paul Bankole Sexually Assault Me in Redemption Camp Ex-basketball Player Seeks Justice
What this means: It appears this is part of the government’s efforts to widen the tax base as it steps up its strategy of relying on taxes to increase its revenue. Government revenue has been hard hit by the drop in oil prices and the Covid-19 Pandemic affecting its ability to pay for development programs, meet overheads and offer palliatives to Nigerians who are reeling from economic crunch.
ALSO READ : Save my Job, Tell Them I Did Not Beg You Money – Airport Official Who Davido Gifted $100 Cries Out After Being Sacked
The government has over the years introduced several measures targeted at increasing tax revenues. For example…
- Last year, the FIRS launched a new universal TIN aimed to boost tax compliance and revenue collection in the country.
- Former FIRS Boss, Fowler, stated then that “the new system is able to generate TIN automatically for newly registered cooperate taxpayers from CAC, verify TIN details and print TIN certificate, using the TIN Verification Portal.
- And that “The system also allows tax officials and taxpayers to initiate TIN registration from the comfort of their homes/offices and at their convenience, as the system also notifies the taxpayer through a robust and secured system-system integration, with transparent and convenient benefits.”
What they are Saying: Social media in Nigeria erupted in a frenzy as twitter users reacted to the tweets by the government’s handle.
- Tweets had gathered over 3,800 comments, over 8,000 retweets, over 3000 tweets.
- Here are some tweets;
This is to notify the general public that all account holders in Financial Institutions (Banks, Insurance Companies, etc) are required to obtain, complete and submit Self – Certification Forms to their respective Financial Institutions.
— Government of Nigeria (@NigeriaGov) September 17, 2020
FG Orders All Nigerians with Bank Accounts to fill out Self-Certification Forms
Hot Nigerian Jobs [ Apply Now ]
- Dangote Group Recruitment 2021 For Graduates in Nigeria
- Thomas Adewumi University Massive Recruitment for Academic and Non Academic Staff
- BEDC Electricity Plc Graduate Trainee Programme 2021
- Massive Recruitment at the Society for Family Health
- INEC Recruitment 2021 for Observers
- Current Ongoing Recruitment at Gemstone Microfinance
- Ekiti State Government Recruitment for Graduates
- Lagos State Independent Electoral Commission Massive Recruitment for ADHOC Staff
- Massive Recruitment at Rainoil Limited
- Latest Job Recruitment at Wema Bank Plc for Graduates