The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, has strongly warned the All Progressives Congress, or APC, to stop impersonating Christian clerics.
The party became mired in controversy after some people who identified themselves as “bishops” showed up to Kashim Shettima’s official introduction as Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s running mate.
Since selecting Shettima, a fellow Muslim, as his running mate, Tinubu has been under heavy fire.
The country’s christian community has harshly criticized and condemned the action.
The full statement from CAN on the subject is provided below;
The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has distanced itself from the introduction of Kashim Shettima, the APC vice presidential candidate, claiming that those who were identified as church leaders are “unknown clerics.”
“We are shocked, disappointed, and concerned about the desperation of some politicians who once claimed that Christians do not matter in governance and politics and who went to hire some unidentified ‘bishops, pastors, and priests’ to impersonate the leadership of CAN in their political meeting,” the statement reads.
Also Read: CAF Awards 2022 winners: Sadio Mané, Asisat Oshoala win African Player of the Year [See Full List]
“This is completely wrong, repulsive, unusual, and ungodly. Why do they act like Christians in their meetings if they claim they have no political values?
“We’re bringing their sponsors and leaders before the court of conscience. These activities have exposed them to the public and demonstrated what they are capable of doing to the rest of us.
Recommended Naija News
- Kuje Prison Attack: Heads will roll as Buhari receives report indicting officials – FG
- Court okays sacking of official who tampered with INEC database
- JAMB cut off mark for 2022 admission Emerges
- Dana Air suspension: FG grounds Dana Air days after Aero Contractors’ crisis
“We are pleading with political parties not to disregard religious sensibilities and public sentiments, particularly in Nigeria today where Christians are becoming a rare breed on a daily basis,”
“Our mission fits within the bounds of the Constitution, and to disregard it would be to trample on the Constitution, particularly the Federal Character Act.”
That is the latest Naija News today on Fake Bishops
Nigerian Job [Apply Now]
- FBN General Insurance Graduate Trainee Massive Recruitment
- Access Bank Entry Level Recruitment & Internship Job Vacancies (4 Positions)
- Nigerian Navy Recruitment 2022 Exercise for SSCE, OND, NCE Application Guidelines
- KDSG Teachers Recruitment of 10,000 Graduates : How to Apply, KDSG Jobs Login Portal, KDSG SUBEB News