By Rotimi Ojomoyela
There was palpable tension at a town hall meeting organized by Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room in Ado Ekiti, on Tuesday, as Governor of Ekiti State, Mr. Ayodele Fayose had a face-off with the Commissioner of Police, Mr. Ahmed Bello and the Director of the Department of State Services(DSS), Mrs Promise Ihenacho.
Governor Fayose had accused the security chiefs of working in cahoots with the All Progressive Congress in the deployment of allegedly compromised operatives to Ekiti to perpetrate rigging and illegal arrests.
This was as the Independent National Electoral Commission(INEC) and security chieftains assured that the election slated for July 14 will be free, fair and devoid of any form of malpractices that could vitiate the process.
The assurances were given by INEC commissioner in charge of Ekiti, Oyo and Osun States, Mr Solomon Soyebi, the State Police Commissioner and DSS Director at a town hall meeting organized by Nigeria Civil Society Situation Room in Ado Ekiti, Ekiti State capital.
The Chairman of the Civic Society Organisation, Mr Clement Nwankwo, said the essence of the meeting is to extract assurances from INEC and security agencies that the coming election will be credible.
Fayose alleged that ex-Chief Security Officer (CSO) to Dr Kayode Fayemi, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress(APC), Hakeem Abiola and former Aide De Camp (ADC), Adeyemi Ajayi , have been brought to Ekiti to lead policemen to conduct illegal arrest of members of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and harass electorate. The atmosphere at the Afe Babalola Civic Centre, where the event was held became very tensed as party members inside the hall threw all manners of allegations at the security chiefs.
The Chairman of the traditional rulers and Oloye of Oye Ekiti, Oba Oluwole Ademolaju and the Attah of Ayede, Oba Abdulmumin Orisagbemi, told the security chiefs to redeploy the two men out of the state in the interest of peace. But the DSS boss, Mrs Ihenacho who confirmed that the former CSO was in Ekiti, but not as a leader of a unit as alleged by the governor, which further provoked the audience and made them to become uncontrollable until Fayose intervened and brought the situation under control.
The CP also intervened to say that any police officer that has political affinity with any of the interested parties would not be used for the election. “We are going to give equal opportunities to all the parties and the issue you have raised will be looked into, because there are procedure we must follow , even if they are going to be redeployed”, he said.
The Governor accused the DSS boss of allegedly acting like a chieftain of the APC by ordering the arrest and detention of PDP members and some teachers.
He also tendered a video evidence to the INEC chiefs at the event to confirm alleged preloading of the smart card reader by a political party in Akure, Ondo State capital.
Fayose said: “Free and fair election can only come when security did the right thing. On the day of election, I want all my security details to be withdrawn. But let me say that DSS have started arresting people but this will be resisted.
This will be the best election — Zakari
INEC Commissioner in charge of Election Operations and Logistics, Mrs. Amina Zakari said the commission would ensure the election would end up being “the most successful election ever conducted,” in Nigeria.
Zakari, while rebuffing the governor’s allegations against her called on him to back his claim with evidence, adding the institution had gone farther than the era when polls were rigged with impunity in the country.
Her words: “They should prove that beyond a reasonable doubt. I doubt it if an individual can rig an election when there are over 20,000 personnel to conduct the election. “They should back their allegation with fact and figures. We (INEC) have nothing to hide. I see no reason why INEC would want to go back to bad old days. We are moving forward as we remain focused to ensure a credible election that Nigeria will be proud of. “I have no doubt that this will be well-organized and it will be adjudged as the most successful election ever conducted,” she said.
QUICK SEARCH FOR JOBS IN YOUR FIELD
- Supreme Court takes decision on PDP’s INEC server claim
- EFCC denies raiding Akinwunmi Ambode’s residence
- I will lift not less than 100 million Nigerians from poverty – Buhari Boast
- Angry ‘side chick’ burns down the house of her ‘boo’ after he called her for intimacy at 4am but slept off before she arrived
- Miracle !! Woman Alleged kidney stones Patient gave birth to triplets
DON’T GIVE UP HUNTING FOR JOB
HOT JOBS, RECOMMEND FOR YOU
- NIGERIA SECURITY AND CIVIL DEFENCE CORPS 2019 Massive Recruitment
- National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) Recruitment 2019
- Dangote Cement Plc, Recruitment 8th August 2019
- Dangote Refinery Recruitment 2019: Latest Vacancies ( 4 Slots )
- IROKO TV Partners Limited massive recruitment for Outbound Telesales Agents (500 slots )
- Edo State Government 2019 Apprenticeship Programme
- Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) recruitment for Observers in Kogi and Bayelsa States, August 2019
- Kaduna State Government 2019 Massive Recruitment for Entry-level & Exp
- Entry Level Bank Tellers recruitment in a Reputable Bank in Lagos, August 2019
- Entry Level Recruitment at UBA Bank, 1st August, 2019
- Ongoing Recruitment For Customer Service Representatives In A Renowned Commercial Bank ( Nationwide )
- Massive Recruitment at Titan Trust Bank Limited, (18 Positions )
- Julius Berger Nigeria Plc : Latest Recruitment
- First Bank of Nigeria 2019 Recruitment for 19th, July 2019 [ 8 Position ]
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT JOBS
JOBS BY CATEGORIES
- Abia State 11
- ABUJA FCT 35
- Adamawa State 16
- Akwa Ibom State 14
- Anambra State 12
- Apprenticeship training 3
- Banking Industry 29
- Bauchi State 9
- Bayelsa State 10
- Benue State 9
- Borno State 16
- Career Tips 7
- Construction Company 9
- Contract Job 6
- Cross River State 13
- Delta State 12
- Ebonyi State 12
- Edo State 16
- Ekiti State 11
- Engineering Jobs 15
- Entry-level Jobs 227
- Enugu State 9
- Featured 13
- FEDERAL GOVERNMENT RECRUITMENT IN NIGERIA 2
- Full time jobs 1030
- Gombe State 10
- Google AdSense know how 6
- Hotel Management/hospitality company 4
- HOW TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE 1
- Imo State 9
- Internship Jobs 36
- Jigawa State 8
- JOB FOR SSCE 64
- Jobs and Recruitment 1514
- Jobs for LEGAL/Law 6
- Jobs in Education 10
- JOBS IN NORTHERN NIGERIA 127
- JOBS IN SOUTH EAST 94
- JOBS IN SOUTH SOUTH 137
- JOBS IN SOUTH WEST 292
- Jos 7
- Kaduna State 15
- Kano State 10
- Katsina State 9
- Kebbi State 9
- Kogi State 11
- Kwara State 12
- Lagos State 147
- Management and Logistics Company 7
- Manager jobs 7
- Manufacturing Industry 8
- Marketing Jobs 2
- Medical /Health 13
- MSC/MS / PHD 52
- Nasarawa State 8
- NCE/OND/HND/BSC 1114
- NGO / Community Services 2
- Nigeria Election 2
- Ogun State 15
- Oil and Gas Company 27
- Ondo State 11
- Osun State 10
- Oyo State 13
- Part Time Jobs 8
- PASS QUESTIONS 1
- Plateau 7
- Rivers State 26
- SCHOLARSHIP Jobs 6
- Sokoto State 9
- Taraba State 9
- Yobe State 9
- Zamfara State 9